Replacing Inside Door Handle - 1995 Camry

The inside door handle of my camry has broken several times and I finally fixed it myself instead of hiring it out. I followed the directions in one of those popular maintenance books but was mislead somewhat and so am posting what I learned from the experience.

When you look at the door handle, you will see a plastic part surrounding and underneath the door handle. This is called the bezel. Removing the bezel is not adequately explained in the book. Now look at the new door handle. You will notice that there is a metal triangle sticking up. That triangle locks the bezel in place.

Open the broken door handle and look at what you can see. You will see that triangle sticking up through the bezel. So when you stick your screw driver up underneath the bezel, the goal is to get the plastic bezel to bend enough to get it up and over that triangle. Once that is accomplished it just takes a little more prying to get the bezel off.

Next you remove numerous screws that hold the door panel on. Some have plastic covers (e.g., the arm rest). Also, there are few plastic rivets at the rearward part of the door that pull out. Then the door panel sort of just lifts out of place (armrest and all).

After that its straight forward!

I felt misdirected by the popular book which I interpreted to say that the speaker covers should be removed. This is not true. If you ever need to access the speakers, first take off the door panel which gives access to screws from the back of the panel. Taking the speaker cover off directly without removing the door panel may damage the panel or speaker covers!

Reply to
kiselink