Replacing O2 sensor in 99 Camry

Hi, Check engine light is on in my 99 Camry, and the car failed emissions inspection. I am told that it is an O2 sensor circuit malfunction (Bank 1 sensor 2)

Question: Is this the sensor under the hood, or the one in the exhaust system under the driver's seat? Also, any suggestions where I can get the part online for a good price?

Thanks.

Godfrey

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda

It's under the hood, on the exhaust manifold in the back. Your car (6cyl) has 3 O2 sensors, 1 on front exhaust manifold(bank 1 sensor 1), 1 on the back exhaust manifold(bank 1 sensor 2), 1 under the car after cat converter(bank 2 sensor 1). I don't know where you can get a good deal on one. I bought one a while back, but being in a hurry I got it at a nearby dealer. It was $138.00 (bank 1 sensor 1 for a 4cyl).

Reply to
hbuck

Thanks, My car is a 4 cylinder, not a 6 cylinder. Does the information still apply?

Thanks

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda

AM

No, the position you quoted (bank 1 sensor 2), is only found on a 6 cyl.

4 cyl either has bank 1 sensor 1 (front of car) or bank 2 sensor 1 (under car after cat converter).
Reply to
hbuck

Hello. I have a 01 Toyota Camry 2.2L 4 cyl. I am not sure if the 99 Camry motor is the same as the 01.

Be careful in replacing what is said to be an O2 sensor. Some Camry models have what is called an Air/Fuel Sensor. It looks similar to an O2. I learned this by THIS WEBSITE! On mine it is located on the front manifold near the radiator. It was so easy to change even I did it and I am a girl! HA!

Call the dealer and give them your VIN#. They will be able to tell you whether you have an O2 Sensor or an Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor.

Sometimes when the CEL light comes on and you get it decoded...lets say at Auto Zone, it will say that it is an O2 Sensor, which in my case it was not. I am sure it is just a fancy name that Toyota came up with, but it is a different part, and the voltage is different. The code I had was P0171 System Lean Bank 1.

I know that MY Camry has 2 Sensors, one in the front on the manifold and one before the cat. When my CEL Light came on it gave me a code of P0171, System Lean Bank 1. That is for the Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor. If it was the

2nd O2 it would have said System Lean (Rich) Bank 2.

I am not saying that yours is not an O2 Sensor, but mine is an 01, and I am not sure what the difference is in the models. But a quick phone call might save you alot of work and hassle later.

Also, I would definately go with Toyota Parts. Now, I know they can be expensive, but I just wouldn't put AutoZone parts, well at least not an Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor on my car. Sure I could have gotten the Universal one for about $60.00 but I didn't want to deal with having to do all of that splicing.

Check out the following website....www.mbsautoparts.com. I have no affiliation with them, but I just bought my Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor from them. It is a Denso, and if I am not mistaken Denso is the manufacturer for Toyota. The sensor cost me about $115.00 with shipping (I had it shipped 2-day). They have really great prices on their parts. The dealership wanted $200.00 for the SAME sensor!

I HTH. I am by NO means an expert, and the people on this forum are GREAT. I have found some VERY helpful information on here, and I thought I would help out a fellow Camry owner.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Camrygirl

Yeah, the inline 4 has one before and one after the catalytic converter.

I've not tried the Bosch universal oxygen sensor (which requires you to splice the OEM connector using a special connector they provide). But I heard it works well and is inexpensive.

Reply to
johngdole

Air-Fuel sensor is just another name for an oxygen sensor. It tell you that the oxygen sensor works a broader range is all. This type of sensor is usually twice the cost of the narrow band version most of the states require. Looks like you are in one of the few stricter states requiring the broad range version of the sensor.

Autozone is actually a very good place to buy Bosch oxygen sensors. And Bosch is offering a $10 gas card till the end of the year (yes, I am looking at replacing right now). Autozone sensor prices are quite competitive.

Bosch is the company that invented the oxygen sensor and other people just license or try to copy their technology. Go with Bosch oxygen sensors I'll say. Who knows, Denso may be the source of your problems in the first place, even if it's oem.

Reply to
johngdole

You know....you may be right about the sensors! =)

Reply to
Camrygirl

Air fuel ratio sensors are NOT just like oxygen sensors. They operate differently than oxygen sensors, and the circuit through which information is delivered to the computer is completely different as well. If an AF sensor is used as the primary feedback, substituting a plain 02 sensor will not even come close to working. And AF sensors are more accurate, too. It's not just a marketing gimmick.

Reply to
qslim

You know, I've read this before, but it's not clear to me why this is so. Referring to:

you see on page 20 the transfer function for a plain O2 sensor and on page 25 that of the fancy toyota sensor. These functions look the same to me, which implies that you could substitute a plain O2 sensor. What's wrong with this argument? (I'm not disputing you; I ask merely for information.)

is all.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I replaced the O2 sensors in my '98 Camry, V6. I bought and used Denso O2 sensors. I called Denso and they gave me the correct model Denso parts for my car.

Not to start a war here, but I say, don't mess around and get OEM quality parts on this like this. Bosch may have invented the sensor, but who knows how thier aftermarket parts will compare with an OEM quality part?

The Densos I bought came with anti-seize compound -- make sure you apply and use it! Removing the old sensors was a lot of work because they had seized up.

Finally, make sure you have plenty of time *AND LIGHT* if you're doing both sensors on the V6. Doing the sensor on the backside required me to lift the car so I could loosen the 2nd sensor, and then I removed it from the top.

Good luck. H.

I know, we all have our preferences in terms of the parts to buy. That's fine. Bosch will cost a little more than OEM, but I think it's worth it (that's what I'll get).

So tell me, why are all these Denso sensors getting replaced? ;-)

Reply to
johngdole

AF sensor is a type of oxygen sensor.

Maybe Toyota thinks there are only two different types of sensors but Bosch says there are five categories of oxygen sensors:

  1. unheated thimble,
  2. heated thimble,
  3. planar,
  4. wide-band and
  5. titania

Check it out:

Buy the one in the Bosch catalog and you'll get the right one for the application. Don't just do a plain cross reference (for any car part).

Reply to
johngdole

I talked with the Denso dude and he explained that the lifetime of an O2 sensor is usually less than 100k miles. He explained the various failure modes -- I think what he said is in line with what most O2 sensor vendors say.

The newer Densos are even more resistant to poisoning too.

I think the Boschs are cheaper than OEM Densos.

H.

Hey!

I am glad to know they aren't a marketing gimick! Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Camrygirl

Definately agree...I went with Denso. It took me about 10 minutes to replace my A/F Sensor and it came with anti-seize.

So far I have only had to replace the one on the front. I haven't got a code for the O2 Sensor on the back.

Reply to
Camrygirl

If mine ever goes out I will get the Toyota part. I have the original sensors still in my 97 camry 4 at over 200,000 miles.

Reply to
Rob

Yes, the wide-band sensors, called AF sensors by Toyota, usually gives out 60-100K miles. But did he tell you how much sooner the Denso sensors fail compared to the Bosch?

I was looking at online prices. Denso sensors are cheaper, with the exception of the "universal plug" version, which is about 50% of the OEM-plug version. But if you buy it at a dealer, then Densos are more expensive. Denso spark plugs cost more at the dealer, too.

H wrote:

Reply to
johngdole