Replacing speaker grilles on rear shelf, 2003 LE

I have a 2003 Camry LE. For the past several months it has been necessary to park it in an area that gets a great deal of afternoon sun. As a result the plastic "grille" on the two rear speakers has degenerated and is about to fall onto the speakers. This morning I stopped at my local Toyota dealer and asked about getting replacement grilles. I was told they were not available and I would have to replace the entire rear shelve, with a parts cost of about $400 plus labor! I asked how hard it was to remove the grilles and was told they didn't come off. I then asked how speakers were replaced and was told they were installed from within the trunk. When I got home I looked in the trunk and it's obvious the speaker's mounting screws are installed in the shelve top, not from within the trunk. Does anyone know how to remove the grille assembly? If I can get them off I'm sure I can fit some type of grille cloth. Are they like the grilles for hi-fi equipment which often have a pin in hole type of means of securing the grille. I really don't want to break the plastic frame and sure don't want to pay $400+ for replacing a couple of speaker grilles. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Reply to
Harry Avant

You have to remove the entire rear seat to get the shelf out. Surprized they went so soon --- I had a '93 and they were still good in mine. Start with removing bottom seat cushion - snaps up in front. That reveals 2 bolts for the back. Probably have to remove side bolsters too. Then the 3rd light and then the shelf slides forward. I'm sure some of the aftermarket grills will work. Speakers there are 6x9 but have a Toyota special 3 point mounting system (vice normal 4). Replace the speakers --- the OEM one are crappy. I used Sony 3 way 6x9 ones -- which came with grills that could be used.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
Harry Avant

YUP!

Reply to
Wolfgang

=============================== You may find it is not as difficult as it may sound - or just have a place that sells the speakers install them for you. Once you pull up sharply enough on the front of the rear bench seats, they just lift out. Remove the couple of bolts for side bolsters and they come right out. I may be missing some minor point, but the rear speaker shelf should just slide right out. Could be that having it all one piece is a better design in that rattles are reduced over time and less likelihood of buzzing from looseness of separate parts.

Reply to
Daniel