Replacing timing belt on 97-01 Camry

Hi all, My 4 cylinder 99 Camry broke the timing belt. I have some questions:

  1. Is this engine non-interference? I am worried that the breaking of the belt may have caused damage to the valves, etc.

  1. I am trying to replace the belt, and I am following the Haynes Repair manual. I am stuck at this step?

****************** Position the number one piston at TDC on the compression stroke. Make sure the small hole on the camshaft pulley is aligned with the TDC mark of the cam bearing cap. *******************

The book says that positioning of the piston at TDC can be achieved by turning the crankshaft with a large socket. My question is: how do I know when the number one piston is at TDC?

Also, because the timing belt is broken, turning the crankshaft pulley has no effect on the camshaft pulley. Am I supposed to turn the camshaft sprocket independently of the crankshaft pulley?

One last question: I can see the little hole in the camshaft pulley, but I don't see the "TDC mark on the cam bearing cap" I am supposed to align it with. In fact, I don't even know what the cam bearing cap is.

Please help me.

Godfrey

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda

Alright. No, it is not an interference engine, so the likelyhood of valve damage is minimal. Yes, you do have to independently set the cam and crank pulleys seperately. The repair manual is assuming the ols timing belt is still on the car. Here are some tips:

-The crank pulley has a white mark on its circumference. On the black plastic timing cover there are marks right above the pulley there should be three marks - 0, 5, & 10. The white mark on the crank needs to line up with the '0' mark on the timing cover. This means that #1 piston is at the top of it's stroke, or TDC.

-The cam pulley has a small hole on its face. When this hole is positioned at approximately 11:30 (I think, can't quite visualize it right now) you will be able to see a small vertical notch about 1mm tall and .5 mm wide etched in the area just around the cam seal. It's helpful if you have a small mirror and a flashlight to line it up properly. I'm not quite sure what the manual is speaking of when it references the cam bearing cap. This would require removing the valve cover, of course, and I have never done so. Perhaps there is a timing mark, but I couldn't say. (BTW, I am referencing the N American camrys. I don't know if things are different elsewhere.)

That's pretty much it for lining it up. Some other things I would suggest-

-Inspect the condition of the water pump whilst in there. Timing belt failure is most often caused by a faulty h2o pump. Infact, it would be advisable to just replace it. But if not, make sure the H2O pump turns smoothly and has no freeplay.

-One thing that makes this job very accesible (after everything is lined up) is to back the front engine mount bolt out about 2/3, place a wooden block under the engine, and jack the engine up a bit. This will raise the front a bit and make it very easy to get to.

-Good luck and remember, it's just a machine. It has to bend to reason eventually. Post if you need tips.

Reply to
qslim

camshaft. If when turning either and you feel alot of resistance stop and try turning backward or other shaft. The timing notch on crankshaft pulley aligning with TDC mark on lower belt cover would give you top dead center on pistons 1 and 4. And 180 degrees from that mark on Crankshaft pulley would give you top dead center on pistons 3 and 2. TDC mark on the cam bearing cap is seen when the valve cover is removed and when the hole on the camshaft gear is upward it can be seen. That is the cam bearing cap is the first cap that holds down the camshaft in its bearing directly behind the gear. Sometimes the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is in the wrong place because the rubber bonding between the inner and outer part of the pulley has slipped. Then what I do to find TDC is to remove #1 spark plug and have someone put a long thin screwdriver in the hole till it touches top of piston and you turn the crankshaft bolt with a socket till he sees when the screwdriver comes up all the way ( you might have to turn crankshaft slowly back and forth to find exact TDC.) I would put belt back on and just put back crankshaft bolt and metal piece so belt doesn't slip off. and make sure maybe front engine mount back in and spark plugs back, and valve cover back and other belts or nothing in way and try to see if it starts (be careful and don't leave socket attached to crankshaft bolt, don't ask me how I know). If it doesn't start perhaps you have bent valves and better take it to a mechanic or mechanic friend for a head job. Good Luck

Reply to
Edmechanic

Many thanks to qslim and Edmechanic for the hints. I will try again tomorrow. In the meantime I have other questions:

  1. I read that there is a TDC on the compression stroke and a TDC on a exhaust stroke. Will lining up the white mark put the number one piston at TDC of the compression stroke?

  1. How do I get the crankshaft pulley off? That is, how do I keep it from turning so I can remove the bolt? Also, how do I keep the number one piston at TDC while wrestling with the job of removing the crankshaft pulley? Seems to me attempts to remove the pulley are likely to turn the crankshaft and move the number one piston from TDC.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda

valve

crank

up

the

positioned

the

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Getting the crank pulley can be a bit of a pain, and there are a couple of ways to do this. The first is proper, and is to use a puller. It threads into the pulley bolt hole, fastens around the back of the pulley, and when tightened will slowly pull the crankpulley off. The second and not-so-proper way is to thread the pulley bolt in about

1/2 way or so, and use an air hammer with a blunt attachment to vibrate the bolt while simultaneously pulling on the crank pullley (with your other hand or with the aid of a helper).
Reply to
qslim

"Godfrey Muganda" wrote

$50 electric impact wrench worked for me. Spun the crank bolt right off without altering the pulley position.

BTW, using a round tooth pick to find the groove through the hole in the cam pulley seemed to work better for me than using a light and mirror - still hard to see that small mark precisely.

If you want to do a more complete job, check the idler pulleys for condition, check the oil seals.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Recommend you use a harmonic damper puller - bolts should be 8 mm

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Thanks to all you helpful guys out there for taking the time. I think I know how to proceed. Will let you know how it turns out. Probably take me a while 'cause I am new at this and I have to work every day.

Godfrey

valve

crank

up

the

positioned

the

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda

Yeah man, you can do this. Just take your time and think about whats going on. Don't let the machine outsmart you. BTW, if by chance you do move the crank pulley during removal, there is no worry. There are also marks on the crankshaft timing belt sprocket itself, so you can line it up with the pulley off.

Reply to
qslim

Many thanks to the wonderful people who answered my questions. You were great! With the help from my brother-in-law and the suggestions I got from this forum, my 99 Camry is back on the road.

It turned out that the timing belt had not snapped: it had nearly all the teeth abraded off. The water pump sprocket had a crack in it, and it was bent downward. Apparently the damage on the belt was caused by the water pump.

Thanks again for all your help.

G.

know

new