Request for guidelines on cleaning sticky idle air control valve.

Hi All, I have a 94 and a 99 Camry and both have sticky idle air control valve. I have been consistently replacing them every 18 months. Then I found out about this group and learned that there was alternative solution to the problem. Many suggested that cleaning the IAC valve worked for them, using Redline Fuel System Cleaner would help reduce carbon build-up, and adding TriFlow would help lubricate the valve better. Here are my questions. Can someone show me a picture of IAC valve and its location under the hood since I am a complete auto-illiterate? Do I have to use air valve cleaner or carb. cleaner will work just fine? Can someone share his/her experience with Redline Fuel System Cleaner? Even the dealer recommends using fuel system cleaner every two months as a way to reduce carbon build-up.

Ivan

Reply to
taovan

====================================== If you go to Redline's Internet site they have detailed technical information regarding the fuel system cleaner including graphs and apx.

4 pages of text. Should answer any question you may have. All you really need is Tri-Flow for a newer IAC valve. Just spray some into the opening on a cold engine. How does the novice find the IAC air intake? Easy. Open the hood. You should see the battery right in front. Just behind that is the air filter enclosure. Follow the air tube back as it curves around to the left. It terminates at the throttle body. You'll see a wheel with cables going to it in front. On the '94 it's just behind the distributor that has the spark plug wires. The wheel with cables is the throttle valve that moves when you press on the gas pedal. The purpose of the idle air control valve is to route air past the closed throttle valve at idle, so the air intake is in front of the throttle valve inside the throttle body. You need a 10mm wrench to loosen the clamp holding the air intake hose

- a fairly large diameter black plastic hose that connects to the throttle body. You're going to have to turn that hose clamp bolt a lot, so it is easier if you have a ratchet wrench or GearWrench, but actually any

10mm wrench will work. After the clamp is loosened, use both hands to simultaneously pull back and twist and wiggle the connection to release the air hose. Then pull it over to the right (windshield) side of the throttle body to get it out of your way temporarily. Then look inside the throttle body. Right in front, at the bottom, you will see a rectangular shaped opening. That's the air intake for the idle control valve and that's where you spray a small amount of Tri-Flow. That's it. You're done. Pull back on the air intake tube and press it back into place. Tighten the hose clamp. It doesn't have to be over tightened, just firm - snug - use light pressure on the end of the wrench until you feel it stop turning, then don't force it, just apply moderate pressure such that you've reached the natural holding force of the fastener. One can of Tri-Flow will last for years, and one application should be good for around a year. Perhaps after you've accomplished this, you may be emboldened to try other maintenance or repair procedures, but at least you'll have this one done. ====================== By the way, if you really want to see a picture, the Haynes repair manual for your '94 has a photograph in the Fuel section of someone spraying carburetor cleaner into the throttle body so you should be able to see the IAC intake opening there.
Reply to
Daniel

A similar procedure has worked for me at least 3 times. I have used brake cleaner with no side effects.

Daniel wrote:

Reply to
marvinshos

A similar procedure has worked for me at least 3 times. I have used brake cleaner with no side effects.

Daniel wrote:

Reply to
marvinshos

Hi, Thanks a for the advice! It is very simple procedure. I have applied Tri-Flow (one spay) on both of my cars 4 days ago. RedLine Fuel System Cleaner is on its way. The 94 car is working fine. Its intial RPM increases by 100. However, the 99 car stalled twice in the past two days during cold starts. Could it be not having enough TriFlow? Thanks!

Ivan Daniel wrote:

Reply to
taovan

===================== Try some Berryman B-12 Chemtool spray on the '99 IAV valve while it is stumbling at cold idle. If that doesn't clean it, you'll probably have to replace the valve. Check the manual for all the adjustments you can do with the throttle body removed:

I started using Tri-Flow because the problem returned even with a new IAC valve installed, and that has solved it for me so far. I took apart the old valve just to see how it was put together. There were some scrape marks on the rotating drum, so that's why it occurred to me that there is no lubrication for that part, and I began use of the Tri-Flow.

Reply to
Daniel