resonation (vibration) from HU ?

I have a 03 XLE V6. I get a vibration sound or maybe it's resonation from the area of the radio (Head Unit). If I push on the radio or the moulding around radio it goes away. This is an intermittent problem. If the car is cold inside, it doesn't happen. When I leave car outside in sun and the interior heats up, it is more likely to happen. Also, it's not constant. It happens when I go over certain rough roadway. It just seems to start some sort of sympathetic (resonate) thing. I guess another way to describe it is it sounds like a buzzing sound. It's not electrical (sound is not coming from speakers). Since it's intermittent I'm reluctant to take into dealer. If I do, it probably won't do it for them. It's hard for them to fix something that they can't duplicate. Any ideas out there???

Thanx.

Reply to
Jack

Be sure to report it if you get surveyed by Consumer Reports or Powers. Maybe Toyota will get the message that their quality is nearing Detroit 1980's level.

constant. It

describe it is

Reply to
Art Begun

Given the amount of plastic in modern cars, its a miracle that they are as quiet as they are.

If you take it back under warrenty they often use insulating tape to quiet noisy plastic dash-board parts rubbing to-gether.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

In news:1e9tb.10842$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au, Jason James being of bellicose mind posted:

2003 Corolla:

I had a conversation with the senior service writer about nearly a dozen plastic panel snapping rattles that came and went with temperature. One of the "interior techs" came out to my car, verified my concerns and capabilities. He GAVE me a 18x18" piece of adhesive backed felt and instructions on how to disassemble the console and dash. EASY. I drove home and took the whole thing apart myself and fixed the most irritating noises. The radio was the worst. I ended up removing it twice and disassembling the radio itself to insulate the framework that holds the radio buttons.

Reply to
Philip®

Now all we need is for the manufacturers to do this during assembly,...not the customer.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

another

assembly,...not

Unfortunately people keep buying Toyota's because they used to be high quality. I'm on my 4th and it will be my last for a long, long time. My days of doing warranty work because the dealer and manufacturer are incompetent ended in the 1980's.

Reply to
Art Begun

LOL, well Art, better get used to more work, if you'll look in Buisness Week magazine, issue "NOV 17", turn to page 117, you'll see Toyota had the elast amount or repairs on 100 vehicles sold, next was Nissan, Honda, Daimler/Mopig, GM and last ont he list is Ford. Of ocurse, I have the issue right here and was just reading the big article how well Toyota is doing "Can anything stop Toyota", I assume its where the other thread came from.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Toyota doesn't do warranty work. They tell you rattles and creaks are normal. So their percentage of repaired problems is very low.

Buisness

Miller

country.

Reply to
Art Begun

Reply to
Jack

In news:f_sub.8733$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net, Art Begun being of bellicose mind posted:

THANKS TO YOU, Art ... by illustrating how NOT to get plastic rattles fixed, I took a different approach with the senior service writer ... who introduced me to an "interior technician" .... who gave me 5 minutes of his time and a sheet of adhesive backed felt to fix the problems myself to my satisfaction. Real easy. Win Win situation.

It's hard to say something is a defect in materials or workmanship when "all of them do it" so .... with my expectations being higher, my dealer gladly facilitated my goals. That's a reasonable overture by a dealer. We're all still friends and I know my car better. Take a hint.

Reply to
Philip®

In news:lztub.176848$mZ5.1250658@attbi_s54, Jack being of bellicose mind posted:

Would you detail your experience? :-)

Reply to
Philip®

Gladly, On my 01 LE, the front passenger seat would creak when someone was in it. They fixed it. On my 03 XLE, there is a vibration (maybe resonation) see beginning of this thread cause I started it. I have an appointment with my dealer to fix this. I've always had good luck with my dealer. I've been with the dealer and same service adviser since 89. In case you're interested, my dealer is Maita Toyota of Sacramento. :-))

Reply to
Jack

In the RTP, NC area you can barely get a proper oil change at a Toyota dealer. From experience I now check to make sure oil isn't leaking from the pan plug before I leave the lot after an oil change. I also check the dipstick to see if they overfilled or underfilled it this time. You go back to complain and the service advisor says that the machine isn't that accurate.

resonation) see

experience.

Twain"

Reply to
Art Begun

My dealer advertises a 29 minute oil change. Last time everyone was waiting 2 hours. Sorry, I am not on good terms with the dealership. If I want felt pads I'll go to Ace hardware and buy them for a buck.

rattles

Take

Reply to
Art Begun

So take your Toyota filter and go to your friendly, efficient Chrysler dealer. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®