Reverse Gear Indicator is always On

I have 1997 camry LE Yesterday, I dont know what happened.

The reverse gear light is always on now, even when the car is running in D - ie, Drive gear.

At the same time, the check engine light has come ON.

What could be cause of this problem?

This could be some censor problem or real problem. thanks for your ideas/help.

Reply to
toyota1997

most places like Advance auto will use their scan tool to read the code(s). Get the exact codes and report back..

Reply to
ROBMURR

I had this problem on my 96 Camry.The reverse gear indicator was staying on for a while then coming off. The problem I found was in the trunk .The wires going to the rear lights got caught in the left hand trunk hinge and were shorting from time to time.As soon as I fixed this problem , the indicator problem was fixed.

Reply to
antiqueradiofreak

I had this problem on my 96 Camry.The reverse gear indicator was staying on for a while then coming off. The problem I found was in the trunk .The wires going to the rear lights got caught in the left hand trunk hinge and were shorting from time to time.As soon as I fixed this problem , the indicator problem was fixed.

Reply to
antiqueradiofreak

i bet its the broken trunk wire harness where it bends. i work in a dealer and have seen it literally 100 times

Reply to
toyotawiz