Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Only because the warranty lasts for 3..

Reply to
80 Knight

Hi JOAT - true, they are notable, but for all but the most eccentric, they aren't cars that one would one would be driving at 17 years of age. Still goes back to the matter of them being a 17 year old car, regardless of what notable contribution they may have made to the annals of automotive history.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And what does that have to do with the discussion? It must impress you greatly, for you to capitalize the word cash. Is it that you somehow feel unique in paying cash for things?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Now we've gotten to where you really live. You're impressed with yourself, and quickly succumb to childish postures when others around you aren't equally impressed. Carry on - you've become quite amusing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And you sir, lack the ability to read and comprehend. Please quote where I ever advocated debt. Correct - you cannot.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Such a shame that you prove yourself to be so ignorant in this group. You do realize don't you, that you are posting to a group of people who have consistently proven the ability of GM products to last 200,000 miles easily, without undue levels of maintenance. That's 3 times the mileage you've accrued on your Camry while you keep it stowed in the garage. That means they actually got to use their vehicles, rather than keep them parked for most of their 10 year life (with plans to keep it parked for 7 more years...). On top of that - this is a group of people who are not so blinded by any particular brand loyalty, that they can admit the mistakes and shortcomings of GM.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:17426$49eb0cd5$471fb9ee$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

The "antique" or "Classic" appelation is beside the point.

To the purists, anything post-war is considered "modern". No post-war car is "antique" or "Classic".

You're absolutely right that a 17 year-old Honda or Toyota is "just an old car". So were Model A's and '57 Chevrolets at one time too. All cars go through the "just an old car" phase before a few of them eventually get famous and valuable.

Reply to
Tegger

"80 Knight" wrote in news:CpudnddwRtuv23HUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hey, that wasn't nice! You just hurt my 18 year-old Integra's feelings!

Reply to
Tegger

Are you illiterate or just plain stupid? I garage the Camry when I am not driving it unlike some idiots who leave their vehicles parked on the street or exposed on open driveways.

Reply to
Sharx35

Agreed, yes, a 17 year old HONDA is pure garbage. My TEN year old vehicle is a CAMRY.

Reply to
Sharx35

AH, nothing personal, Tegger.

Reply to
Sharx35

At 10 years old and only approximately 80,000 miles on it, the car sits in the garage more than it gets driven. Do the math - that comes out to...

8,000 miles per year. Hardly something to brag about. Illiterate? Stupid? No. Rather, I am quite capable of seeing idiots like you for what they are.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Quite true - but my point was simply a response to a red herring interjected into the conversation which introduced the terms and concepts of antiques and classics.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You are completely incapable of conversation. Just what in the hell gives you any reason to believe or even suspect that 80Knight lacks any form of frugality? You are just to ate up with yourself. Good thing though, because I doubt others are equally impressed with you.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Agreed. While not the most economical, I buy new and tend to keep for 12-15 years. I had to explain to my wife why buying cash was more economical than leasing. As in short order I owned it and would not be back in a few years to renew the lease with another, and yet another downpayment, and yet another... and no getting dinged for scratches and mileage. Once a lease is over, you walk away with nothing but having to do it all over again into perpetuity.

Even if you have to take a loan, say $600 to own for 3 years sounds better than $450 lease for 15 years. And 15 years also has an infation component, on the 15th year they will be paying $700 while I ride mortgage free.

Finance manages love these lease types. It is like any other debt, pay me now or pay even more over time but monthly payments seem less on the myopic one month view. Sucker play.

Reply to
Canuck57

17 year old inexpensive car. Think of the money he saved!!!
Reply to
Canuck57

Bet it cost them less than a 10 year old GM garbage.

Reply to
Canuck57

Bet it cost them less than a 10 year old GM garbage.

Reply to
Canuck57

Many here value economic freedom and live their lives to provide that. He has thrown that out as a red herring in attempt to distract from the original conversation.

Seriously - I have been married for over 27 years, successfully raised 4 kids, enjoy life, live in a mortgage free home of our chosing, and continue to contribute to the society I live in. What does any of that have to do with driving a 17 year old car?

Why do people like you make statements like this? You know absolutely nothing about 80 Knight's life - whether he is enslaved to a mountain of debt, whether he inherited $10M from a rich uncle, or whether he is modestly secure for the rest of his life. He has indicated nothing to suggest either of those, yet you comment "Go ahead, be a debt slave, someone has to support the bankers new suit.". That is the very same red herring type of comment made by the OP, and all that type of comment serves to do is indicate you are at a loss to deal with the conversation/point at hand.

You and I don't agree on every aspect of the whole GM conversation that has taken place over the past several weeks, and we don't disagree on every aspect. I've thought that some of your ideas were over the top - perhaps thrown out there to simple raise a little hell, but I've also found some of your thoughts to represent an effort at genuine dialog and debate. This kind of statement does not serve the latter well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

A 15 year old Toyota or Honda is just getting broken in. Most price comparisons of Toyotas and Hondas versus Fords and Chevys leave out one key factor in the equation, and that's that you'll need two of the Fords or Chevys to last as long as one of the Toyotas or Hondas.

Reply to
SMS