Running without EGR

My '94 4cyl camry was balking and stalling at idle. I disconnected the EGR, and got relief, so I'm pretty sure that's where my issue lies. Dealer agrees. In fact, the car runs better than ever.

What are the repercussions of running without it? (we don't have emissions checks where I live). thx brent

Reply to
Brent

Spark knock, excessive NOx emissions, slight decrease in gas mileage.

I had a Fiesta with a plugged EGR years ago. During a high speed run (and I mean flat out for a considerable period of time) I managed to burn a piston. I knew the car was spark knocking during acceleration, but didn't think of the consequences of running it flat out for a long period of time. After I fixed the piston, I cleaned out the plugged EGR tube and life was good again. When I was younger and dumber I tried disconnecting the EGR on other cars. It never helped anything and usually resulted in undesirable side efects (mostly noticeably spark knocking).

I'd suggest you fix the EGR. Since disconnecting it seemed to "fix" things, I'd bet you have a bad valve, or a hole in the pipe from the exhaust system to the valve.

Just because you don't have emissions testing, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to keep your car in a good state of repair. I assume you do breathe where you live.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ It will cause the temperatures in the combustion chambers to be too high - too hot. (guessing potentially shorter exhaust valve life) Once had a 1967 VW where EGR was added and the mechanic told me it would run better without it. He was right. But with the Camry's computer controls, and integrated design, you should get more efficiency, and better engine longevity, by running as designed. Tip: When I replaced the distributor O ring, and removed the distributor, I found the connection of the EGR pipe to the engine was much more visibile and accessible.

Reply to
Daniel

OK, thanks guys. Its going to be replaced. Car runs so fine for a 350,000 km machine, that I'd hate to compromise that for the sake of a few bucks. Brent

Reply to
Brent

Try cleaning the EGR valve before replacing the part. I think it costs $250 for the valve.

Reply to
johngdole

"" wrote: > Try cleaning the EGR valve before replacing the part. I think > it costs > $250 for the valve.

Yup, $235 from KEM online from most distributors. BUT, $106 from AC DELCO from the same distributors. Besides the fact that disconnecting it could land you in prison since it is a federal requirement, burning a toxic substance such as gasoline in an uncontrolled manner such as in a vehicle whose smog equipment is modified or disconnected and not fully tested for tailpipe output gases and compounds may well be producing a potentially lethal or permanently disabling toxic substance. Some people are not too concerned about this. And, some people felt nothing when the twin towers fell on 9/11. Breathe easy. Does this answer it for ya?

Reply to
tbober