Rusted Top of Gas Tank Filler Pipe triggers Check Engine Light

PO446 small evap leak Anyone else have this problem? Regards Rick

Reply to
RYurick

Was this the diagnosis? I'm interested beacause my Camry has the PO446, and I noticed rusted gas filler as well. Is yours now fixed? Fred

Reply to
Fred Buchholz

That's interesting. I'm getting the same code, and I've got a rusty gas filler. Have you repaired it? Has the engine light stayed off?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Buchholz

You can try to repair it with something called Seal-All. It might work, and it's $3 a tube.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It may not be the pipe. Also, the code can only point to the general area and is always definitive. If you google you'll see owners had replaced gas caps and even the expensive charcoal canisters and still have the light come back on a couple of days.

The P0446 vent control circuit fault may be the solenoid that directs the pressure from either the tank or the canister to the vapor pressure sensor that's acting up. You can do a test on the "vacuum switching valve" and see.

The post 97 Toyota evaporative system was simply poorly designed and can disintegrated on the inside resulting in an expensive repair bill. Here is one message on another reason for the failure:

02-Jul-04 at 09:25 AM (ET)

Hi...

Well, it seems as if we're in the same 'canister', so to speak. I have recently begun researching the check engine light and why it mysteriously appears and disappears. Or at least it does on my car. In January of this year, I spent almost $500- to have the charcoal canister replaced on my 99 Corolla VE. The check engine light, after spending all this money, continally gave me an on and off light show. The mechanics tell me there is nothing wrong, well I tend to disagree with that assumption. I have read from numerous other Toyota or car talk websites this is a common problem not only for Corolla's, but all Toyota vehicles produced after 1997. Near as I can comprehend the engine or charcoal canister, after 1997, was set at an angle. This is a problem that causes gas to become trapped in the canister and makes it break down. Thus, resulting in the charcoal canister not working properly.

I have gone to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website and logged a complaint. I am the second person in as many months. They can be reached at 1-800-424-9393 or

. This is the federal office that issues all car recalls. PLEASE, call or go their website and log a complaint. This may make Toyota do a recall or at least change their design flaw. I love my car and this is my second Toyota. My mother has 2 Camry's and has not had this problem.

Also, you can contact Toyota Customer Service at 1-800-331-4331 to log a complaint. I will be doing this shortly.

Reply to
johngdole