screw spec - idle air control valve

Anyone have specs on the screws used to hold the idle air control valve to the throttle body? pitch, threads, bolt diameter, etc.?

Trying to replace with hex bolts.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

== You could try ordering new fasteners from the Toyota dealer (just press in harder when turning next time), or if you can find a helpful part person there, they should have the bolts also. I've even found metric fasteners at the local home improvement store when I needed bolts to press off the rear brake drums. With some experience you can almost tell by looking carefully. They're going to be small diameter fine thread. If the dealer has a miscellaneous bolts bin, you might have to buy two sizes to be sure, but they don't cost much.

Reply to
Daniel

The bolts to which you refer are 6x1.25mm 0r 8x1.25mm metric . There are still some imports out there with 5x1.25 mm but it is uncommon.Using hex head bolts is not practical as there are clearance issues associated with this.Replacement with socket head cap screws is acceptable but genuine toyota screws is always the prefered option. These screws should always be removed using an impact driver, which is whwre your problems started I suspect. DO NOT use thread locler of ANY TYPE on these screws it is un nessasary and creates a costly and time consuming repair.The use of star washers is common. Why would you be removing the IACV anyway? may I ask

Dave Strachan AIAME, Toyota master tech Australia

Reply to
videokid400

Thanks for the bolt specs.

Why I was removing the IAC valve... wanted to clean it and test it. Electrically, it works just fine - opens and closes just like it should when applying 12VDC. Just an expensive solenoid valve, I guess.

Was suspecting it as causing my stalling problem in my '96 Camry (141,000 miles). Turns out it was the EGR valve, not the IAC (nor the throttle body).

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

He was having idle-quality problems from memory.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

OK so you are having an idle problem........ Just for next timme ,you can check IACV on car, no need to remove. regards, dave

Reply to
videokid400

Check IACV on car, no need to remove? I have to ask... how?

On my '96, I removed the IACV from the throttle body, and sprayed the little valve with throttle plate cleaner to remove black deposits (and also cleaned with a toothbrush). I also wanted to see the valve open and close when I applied 12VDC to the terminals according to the factory service manual's instructions. I wouldn't see the opening and closing, and wouldn't be able to scrub with a toothbrush, without removing the IAC valve.

I'm thinking of doing the same on my wife's '99 camry - sometimes, on startup (when warm), the car will idle at less than 100 rpm - but tapping the gas quickly brings it up to speed. I'm guessing it's a gummed up IAC valve. I'll go in there and clean it out, once I get an IACV gasket...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Scrub it with a toothbrush??? I rest my case

Reply to
videokid400

So you're saying, just squirting throttle body solvent into the IAC intake hole in the throttle body is sufficient?

If so, that saves me a whole lot of time (and ordering a hard-to-find gasket!)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

NO I am saying that the corect procedure is to ultrasonic it. A toothbrush belongs in your mouth. dave

Reply to
videokid400

Reply to
<psommerhalder

I agree IF you customer can afford to replace the valve ,replace it ,as i have posted MANY times before. I have also seen this as a very common mis diagnosis. I certainly have had and continue to have about 85%sucsess rate with ultrasonicing valves and I keep 6 or 8 on the shelf as changeovers. I am very interested to know why you think it dosnt last long enough. A consecutive valve failure would cause me to look to a cause rather than blaming a poor cleaning procedure. Dvae.

Reply to
videokid400

Reply to
<psommerhalder

I found my Tri-Flow at a motorcycle dealership.

About this low-idle problem... mine goes away when I tap the gas pedal. Are we talking about the same low-idle problem? Or is mine a milder version of everyone else's low idle problem?

GM has a parts guarantee, huh?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Reply to
<psommerhalder

Something to look forward to, I guess.

Is the problem simply the IAC valve gets stuck? Or is it electrical - bad coil, etc?

Is there any chance of simply putting on an IAC from an older car ('92-'96 generation, say)? I've got no IAC problems on my '96... let me guess... parts are not interchangeable...?

Keeps the class-action lawyers away... funny.

You'd think GM's engineers could simply buy a few bucketloads of Toyota parts, and examine them / improve on the designs. Oh wait, this is GM we're talking about here... nevermind...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett