seeking torque rating for rear sway bar end links on 1994 Camry

I have a 1994 Camry with 4 cylinder that is making a clunk from the rear end. I checked the sway bar end links, one is solid and the other is leaking oil or grease and makes metal to metal contact.

I have never seen a sway bar endlink that contained oil, they have always just been bushings. I can not find any aftermarket sources for the endlinks and Toyota wants $88.00 each for them, so I guess I will have to pay full price.

Anyway, if some kind soul could post the torque ratings for the rear sway bar end link bolts, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Oil? No, they don't contain oil, someone has put a little of something on them.

The usual parts that knock are the bushes in the sway bar retainer brackets, rather than the end links.

The rear stabiliser bar is not a massive item and torque specs are not ultra-critical. The spec for the links is 40 Nm.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

The endlink bushing must have been soaking in something, perhaps this has deteriorated the bushing, I will have to check.

The sway bar retainer brackets and bushings look good and have no movement, but I can twist the end-link and the rubber gives considerably on one side, where the noise is coming from. The endlink on the driver's side is completely solid (and dry). The car has 140,000 miles, and it is tempting to replace both of them, but at $84.00 each and no aftermarket options I might do just the one that is going out now.

Anyway, I will go ahead and replace the endlink tomorrow and see if that does it.

Thanks again!

Pat '94 Camry

Reply to
pws

A local spring shop here has various sizes of rubber bushings. If you have a local shop that specializes in springs you might check with them, so you might be able to find yours if you have one. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I finally replaced the rear sway bar end link today and they do indeed contain grease inside a rubber boot at both attachment points. The end links for this Camry are not like any others that I have seen, and I have done sway bar bushing work on about 5 cars, though they were all RWD until now.

One end attaches to the sway bar and the other end attaches to the shock assembly, with only two 14mm nuts holding them on. The receiving bolt that the nut attaches to is an integral part of the end link and has a rubber boot similar to a boot on a steering rack.

This boot has a cut on the old one and I can squeeze grease through the hole.

In any case, the noise is gone now, so mom is happy. :-)

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Thanks David, but if you see my other post, it turns out that this is not a typical rubber bushing on the rear sway bar end link. I knew that there had to be some reason that only Toyota carries it. I looked everywhere and could not find an aftermarket replacement.

If anyone is really interested in this piece that I am describing, I can take a picture of the old one.

Thanks again!

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote: snip

snip

Pat, If you email me a picture I'll take it to the local spring shop to see if they have it and pricing. If you could include some dimensions as well: O.D., I.D. & heighth. snipped-for-privacy@sigecom.net Dave

Reply to
davidj92