Sensitivity on automatic headlights

My 2000 Solara has the automatic headlight feature that turns them on when it is dark. A sensor on the dash detects the amount of light. My problem is that it takes about 10 seconds for the sensor to recognize it is dark when I start the car at night. Does anyone know if the sensitivity can be adjusted and how to do it?

Allan

Reply to
Allan Alton

Allan Alton wrote: || My 2000 Solara has the automatic headlight feature that turns them || on when it is dark. A sensor on the dash detects the amount of || light. My problem is that it takes about 10 seconds for the sensor || to recognize it is dark when I start the car at night. Does anyone || know if the sensitivity can be adjusted and how to do it? || || Allan

I suspect that the factory sensitivity is set that way to avoid false alarms. Be patient! It'll come on.

Reply to
doorsill

My Sienna is much quicker at coming on. I'd be happy to get it to work that way.

Reply to
Allan

My 2000 Camry takes up to 30 seconds for the headlights to come on.. I'm often driving down the highway before they finally come on. If you find a cure, please let me know. Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

Allan wrote: || My Sienna is much quicker at coming on. I'd be happy to get it to || work that way.

Admittedly, my 99 Camry has a lag coming on if ambient light level is high, e.g a lot of street lighting.

Reply to
doorsill

Dick Byrd wrote: || My 2000 Camry takes up to 30 seconds for the headlights to come on.. || I'm often driving down the highway before they finally come on. If || you find a cure, please let me know.

Perhaps ensuring that the windshield, outside and inside, in the vicinity of the sensor is perfectly clean? However, that could work in reverse, I suppose.

Reply to
doorsill