Shaking/Vibration at Speed - "One of those" proble

Hi, Thanks for any constructive feedback.

I have a 92 Camry with a 4cyl and manual 5-speed transmission. It has

247.000 miles. The car is in great condition, drives straight, passes inspection, but has a vibration at speed.

Once I reach 60mph the vibrations begin. At 65 & 70mph the vibrations are bad. The car shakes almost as if the drive train wants to jump out of the car. The feedback is not really felt in the wheel or the stick more so than throughout the entire car.

The vibrations also occur around 50mph when going uphill or 40 mph when in a turn.

The strange thing is the vibration only occurs when I put a load on the car. I can go 75 or more downhill and the car is perfectly smooth.

If the problem was: bearings, tires, or a rotor, wouldn?t the vibration be consistent? Again, it is only when I am "on the gas" at speed that the problem continues to occur.

Keeping a load on the motor and touching the brakes does not help the vibration go away.

A little more: I have done the front motor mount, rack, and a RHS CV joint. The front motor mount has been replaced about twice in two years, which is telling me it?s bearing someone else?s load. The top (dog bone) motor mount is original, but looks fine. The rear motor mount looked fine as well but is original.

I have rotated tires. Right after the vibration gets a bit better but then returns just as bad.

The clutch was done a while ago and I suspect the flywheel was not cut as when I let clutch out a vibration goes through the car, but only when starting off in first. In the other gears it is not too bad.

Any ideas?

Reply to
p_j_f

Sounds like CVC joints in front axels.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Wolfgang

My guess is that the Damper on one the axel half is not in good shape. Although , since you can slow the vibration with a tire rotation, it would indicate a tire issue. Are the tires scallopped? or cupped? Rotating them will help if done often enough to keep the cupping/scallopping to a minimum, but sometimes they just wear unevenly anyway.

Maybe something else, like a bad rotor or bearing, but I'd think not from the description given.

good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®