Shift Solenoid E intermittent

Hi,

My 97 camry with 142k miles has the check engine light on, it comes on and off every now and then. I took the car to dealer and they say the car has Shift Solenoid E intermittent faiures and nned to be replaced. Could anyone tell me what is its function and what could happen if I don not replace it.

Thanks, Pal.

Reply to
Pal

================== Ever change the transmission fluid? The transmission is shifted electronically by the engine control computer. The ECM sends an electrical signal to the shift solenoids to alter fluid pressure in the valve body of the transmission applying pressure to different clutch plates to engage the different gears. Perhaps if the fluid is old and worn, one of the solenoids is beginning to stick. Another possiblity would be a loose or dirty electrical connection on the outside of the transmission. I suppose if one of the shift solenoids completely ceased to function, you would lose the use of some of the gears.

Reply to
Daniel

Did you ever change the transmission filter, try that first.

Reply to
m Ransley

Pal wrote:

================================= A solenoid has an electromagnetic coil and a plunger that moves when current is applied. Another common example would be the solenoids in the power door locks. In the transmission, the fluid has two somewhat contradictory functions.

1) It has to lubricate the moving parts including gears and bearings. 2) It cannot be so slick that it prevents friction between the clutch plates that engage to create different gear ratios. Because there is friction between the slipping clutch plates in an automatic transmission, heat is generated. Heat can cause lubricants to "break down" chemically and begin to create varnish which is a thin tough sticky film instead of a smooth slippery one. Also, as the clutch plates wear, (presumably more quickly with degraded fluid) those particles of worn friction material circulate in the transmission fluid. That's why it is a good idea to drain the fluid regularly. There is actually a drain plug on the bottom of the pan, which makes this simpler, but it does not remove all the fluid, so you need to repeat several times. For the small extra cost, I recommend changing the aluminum drain plug gasket each time. That way you're compressing a fresh gasket to get a good seal. The main trick to changing transmission fluid is to get the final level correct. The fluid expands when heated, so the car needs to be driven at least ten miles before the final check, but not run at high speed, or slow stop and go traffic with the air conditioner on, prior to checking. I've found the best practice is to pour the drained fluid into measured containers, like many empty oil bottles with "ounce" markings on the side, then refill the exact same quantity before making the final check. Because most transmission failures are related to "burned" fluid, I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF because synthetic fluids are much more stable at higher temperatures. I have also found 8 oz. of Lucas transmission fix helpful, added at each oil change.
Reply to
Daniel

Just draining is not enough, a clogged filter reduces oil flow where it is needed.

Reply to
m Ransley