shock/strut wear

What is a typical time/mileage to have to replace struts? I have a 98 4cyl. auto. Camry with 100,000 miles and the suspension is starting to sound really clanky, especially around town over normal potholes/bumps, and it sounds worse when it's cold. There's also a faint metallic rattling sound coming from the front right when I go over bumps, but I've had a mechanic tell me that it's normal for a cary that age. How do I tell if something is starting to wear out? Thanks.

Reply to
-=davefreund

If it clanks and is bumpy replace them, mine went hard at 60000m. Tires also go bad belts shift, I broke a belt on a 30000m Michelin, New tires made it a new car, even though I had few miles on the front tires. Some original shocks last over 100000 some originals 50000, same with tires

Reply to
m Ransley
60k miles on normal roads is about it. They fail gradually so you don't notice them deterioriating. After too many miles extra wear gets placed on the springs and they sag. Put new ones on you'll notice a huge difference.
Reply to
Wolfgang

Check the anti sway bar bushings before you replace struts or springs. Inexpensive and easy to replace - common source of complaint.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

You have the infamous strut tower clunking noise it sounds like. Replace the struts and strut towers on the front and the ride will come back to like new, quiet and smooth. Use factory parts or the ride may not be what you are expecting and have the front end realigned.

Reply to
ROBMURR