Should I Replace VSV To Clear Check Engine Light???

Here's the deal, check engine light appears with only 45,000 miles on

01 Camry CE. Had code scanned and P0446 is stored (Evarorative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction). Haynes manual first has you check the Vacuum Switching Valve. Haynes indicates blowing in one end should result in air coming out the other end. This happens. Haynes however also indicates the terminals on the VSV should read between 33 - 39 ohms resistance. My Fluke is indicating 28.5 ohms across the VSV. Is this enough of a difference, 4.5 ohms to make the check engine light appear? When I clear the indicator it comes back in a couple of days. I'd hate to replace the VSV if this is not causing the problem. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also I found the below TSB information regarding this trouble code on the NHTSA website. How can I find out if it pertains to me without leaving the car with the dealer and incurring charges only to find out it doesn't? I will be going to the dealer in a couple weeks for an oil change so maybe I will print it out and bring with me. Thanks for your input.

Steve

Make : TOYOTA Model : CAMRY Year : 2001 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Service Bulletin Num : EG01001 Date of Bulletin: JUN 08, 2001 NHTSA Item Number: 622312 Component: OTHER Summary: SOME VEHICLES WITH 1MZ-FE ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A FALSE M.I.L ON.*JB

Make : TOYOTA Model : CAMRY Year : 2001 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Service Bulletin Num : EG01001 Date of Bulletin: JUN 08, 2001 NHTSA Item Number: 622312 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE Summary: SOME VEHICLES WITH 1MZ-FE ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A FALSE M.I.L ON.*JB

Make : TOYOTA Model : CAMRY Year : 2001 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Service Bulletin Num : EG01001 Date of Bulletin: JUL 06, 2001 NHTSA Item Number: 621980 Component: OTHER Summary: UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, SOME VEHICLES WITH THE 1MZ-FE ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A FALSE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0446 (EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM VENT CONTROL MALFUNCTION) STORED.

*TT

Make : TOYOTA Model : CAMRY Year : 2001 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Service Bulletin Num : EG01303R Date of Bulletin: SEP 29, 2003 NHTSA Item Number: 10004636 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Summary: MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0440, P0441 AND/OR P0446 STORED. *TT

Make : TOYOTA Model : CAMRY Year : 2001 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Service Bulletin Num : EG01303 Date of Bulletin: SEP 29, 2003 NHTSA Item Number: 10003965 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Summary: MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0440, P0441 AND/OR P0446 STORED. *TT

Reply to
abracadabra2112

SNIP

Might be more to the point to ensure your gas cap is always screwed on TIGHT (clicking over-run). If the tank does not build a slight vacuum after a length of time, the ECU records an evaporative failure code.

Reply to
Philip

Your manual should also show that there are two VSVs. 1- VSV for EVAP and 2- VSV for Pressure Switching valve. Check No2 and you'll probably find that it is the one causing problems like it did on mine in similar circumstances. In addition, my manual says that the resistance should be between 25 and 30 ohms which would mean that the VSV you are referring to is OK. Jean-Guy

Reply to
Jean-Guy Paradis

Gas cap being loose results in several trouble codes not just one from what I understand.

Thanks though...

Philip wrote:

Reply to
abracadabra2112