Sirius connection

I have a 2003 Camry XLE. Has anyone connected a Sirius S50 directly to the radio (not using the FM transmit function Sirius has)? If so, how difficult is it to get to the Car's radio connection?

Or should I just pay a car stereo installation place to make the hook-up?

Reply to
prisoner80

Do you know what kind of head unit? And, are you installing a Sirius controller like Toyota sells for $350 (and you can pick up at Radio Shack for $149), or a Dash-mounted unit?

The cable from Toyota is $150, IIRC. Google PIE Toyota Adapter, $80, plugs into the head unit and has RCA inputs so you can connect almost anything to it.

However, I installed an Aiwa I had hanging around in a Mazda I bought last week, so I could have a direct connection from my XM receiver to the head unit. The difference in sound quality? Negligible...Perhaps it is a lot of effort (pulling the dash apart, wiring it in, etc) for little gain...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You need the PIE X3 with the appropriate cable, which should be the PIE X3-TOY. The PIE X3 gives you three sets of inputs, and costs about $45, and the cable is another $15. You get a remote control that will switch between the different inputs to the head unit.

However, what you need depends on the original head unit, and whether or not you have a navigation system.

You may just want to buy a new head unit that is Sirius compatible. It's a much cleaner installation, with the program information displayed on the head unit.

Reply to
SMS

Where'd you get on for $45?! I haven't seen them less than $65, and $75-85 is the usual price!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"

"

Reply to
SMS

Ah, but:

  • Requires factory satellite radio, CD changer, or rear-seat entertainment (RSE) system * The X3 can be combined with an aftermarket CD changer interface adapter (available separately)

He's looking for an adpater for an aftermarket (Off the rack) Sirius portable radio.

I think this is what he needs:

Hachiroku