Sludge in Oil Cap.. What does it look like?

I opened the oil filler cap in my 2002 Camry LE V6 today and noticed some black stuff around the oil cap (very minimal). It was not tar like at all but almost looked like dried chocolate. I have been changing the oil every

4,000 KM and at 16,000 KM, I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 year round and now change the oil every 6,500 KM.

Is what I am looking at Sludge or is it just light varnish that is not a problem?

Thanks,

Reply to
Car Guy

I have seen that also on the splash guard (just underneath the oil filler cap) of my 98 Camry V6 using Mobil 1, and it is not a problem. I am not sure what the splash guard material is made of, and whether that is a contributing factor to the build-up, but it has nothing to do with operation of engine. If the valve cover where removed and the "dried chocolate" was found everywhere, it would be a problem, but I don't think that is the case.

Reply to
Mark A

Thanks Mark. I figured it was nothing to worry about since I have been very particular with all my oil changes and the LONGEST I have gone before changing the oil and filter is about 6,800 KM or 4,216 miles. I also use the Nippon Denso Japanese built oil filter and get the oil changed at the same dealership since new. The vehicle now has 42,800 KM (26,536 miles) and runs just fine.

Reply to
Car Guy

A result of condensation. LS

Reply to
Larry Starr

It is consider normal for this engine. Nothing to worry about.

Reply to
JW

Why do you say light sludge under the oil filler cap is "normal for this engine" while such would be a cause for concern in other engines?

Reply to
Philip ®

I've got a 2000 Sienna and a 1998 V6 Camry in our household, both have frequent oil changes and both have tons of miles on them. I saw the same thin layer of chocolate under the oil cap of both since the second year. Both have been performed flawlessly. No signs of any problem. Talked to the mechnic at my local toyota dealership about what I heard about sludge and he said "they all look like that under the oil cap"...

I guess this is the norm for this engine ? I don't believe the engines in my vehicles have any form of sludge.

Reply to
JW

Reply to
stuart8181

I agree, buy American. The engines usually don't last long enough to sludge up.

Reply to
BB TACO

Boy, now here's a genius statement........from a BB TACO no less!

Reply to
noyap