smelling gas !!

My '07 Camry has 13000km on it. In the last couple of days, it seems to have developed a noticable fuel odor at the back end. I'm a little afraid to drive it now that we've confirmed it is coming from my new car rather than the from the other old beasties in the driveway.

I'm wondering if any one else has had this issue -- I'll be taking it in to the dealer at first opportunity - will also mention the transmission hesitation/surge - I thought it was just me.....

Judy

Reply to
Judy Sauer

I assume you've checked that you didn't forget to replace your gas cap last time you filled the tank, and that it is on straight and tight?

Although rare, a stone or other road debris can fly up and puncture the tank.Do you notice anything dripping on the driveway under the car? Gas will vaporize pretty quickly, so while there may not be a 'wet spot' you might notice a stained or clean spot where the gas was dripping.

Reply to
Mark

Thankfully, the gas cap is attached, and I heard the obligatory click when the jockey filled up today. Unlike my husband's truck - I've replaced the cap four times in the last two years because he keeps forgetting to put it on.

Just checked, gas cap is fine - I don't see any staining under the tank, but it's been parked for a couple of hours. The odor never dissipates, it's still as strong as it was when I parked the car. No apparent wet spots on the tank either. There is a stain in the driveway further back and to the right, but for that spot to be from this car I would have had to have been touching the garage with the bumper and within inches of the trailer. if it's coming from the tank. The spot doesn't smell of gas either.

I'm just trying to remember now the last time I filled the tank. Usually it's at least a week between fills....

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Judy Sauer

You can call up the dealer and maybe they'll come and take the car in without charging you. No doubt it's still under warranty.

The fill pipe, vent pipe, or the evaporative system connections may be the cause. If the smell doesn't dissipate after parking for a while then you probably have an open path from the fuel to the atmosphere some where.

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
Judy Sauer

A loose gas cap should make the check engine light go on.

Reply to
EdV

If it smells and since its been awhile since you filled it get, take it in to be looked at.

Reply to
ransley

Filled the car yesterday, noticed it initially on Thursday or Friday? The fill previous to yesterday, was the Saturday prior. I recall my husband telling me he filled up because he got it for 99 cents a litre. Regular fuel at one of our regular stops, so doubt it was the quality of gas....wonder if it was the same pumps as yesterday....too late to check, I've already shredded the receipt. I'll be chatting with the dealer tomorrow when I'm back to work.

Speak> >

Reply to
Judy Sauer

wouldn't you know, the gas smell has gone away. car must have heard me mention taking it in to service.

Judy Sauer wrote:

Reply to
Judy Sauer

The 07 Camry is supposed to a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV). You are not supposed to smell anything from the outside unless something broke.

You should still mention it and have it documented in your service record. That way if a Technical Service Bulletin shows up after warranty you can still get it fixed for free. Smell of gas is not something I'll put up with even in an old car. It's a safety and health hazard.

Reply to
johngdole

The smell is no longer there - but I will monitor to see if it has anything to do with the level of gas in the tank. If it happens again, it will definitely be going in.

Of course when I say old car, I'm referr> The 07 Camry is supposed to a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV).

Reply to
Judy Sauer