Solara Bumper Meets Garage Door

I could cry! Last night I closed my garage door on my '02 Solara and did significant damage to the bumper. The door got wedged on it and I didn't realize what had happened and tried to open the garage door again. Doing this, gouged out a piece of the bumper and put about four, 4" long scratches on it.

Has anyone on here done anything similar? I hate to see what this is going to cost and I hate to file and insurance claim. :-(

TIA, Suzanne

Reply to
Suzanne

I had my camry rear bumper repainted for $200 Cdn. No need for an insurance claim!

Reply to
JH

insurance

I hope it's that simple (my deductible is $1k), but mine has a nickel-sized round scratch, that has a gouge in the center of it. It's about 1/4" deep and a little wider than its depth. Then there are the lovely scratches that extend upward...

Suzanne

didn't

Doing

Reply to
Suzanne

nickel-sized

that

did

Check

for somebody selling bumpers and email them for the price for your model/year bumper with the color code that's on your drivers door so they paint it. Usually the new bumper is like $375 shipped and painted to color match. I did this on my accord 2003 bumper and took it to MACOO paint repair shop and fix it for $275 dollars plus 60 rented car for 2 days it took, the honda dealer quoted me $475 for the same job. So if the bumper is damaged more than just a scratch maybe is better to get a new one from ebay.

Reply to
Corrlens

I picked up bumper cover damage in the parking lot. Several deep scratches and paint scrapes covering a region the diameter of an orange. I went to a used car dealer and asked them who does their body repair--they suggested a local person who does this full time (to many used car dealers) and has a small shop. It cost me $85 (USD) with taxes for a complete restore. Gouges, dents, and holes can be filled--this has been all worked out--you are not the first to have this happen. It is very likely that you do not need the bumper cover replaced. Cost should be very reasonable

Mike Danielson

scratches

going

Reply to
Mike Danielson

scratches

Thanks Mike. I was hoping that there would be some sort of filler for the gouge. To make matters worse, this is a lease. It's my third one, and the first time I've ever done *any* damage to a car. Not even a scratch before. Can't brag about that anymore!

I'll take your suggestion. It sounds like the best place to start. Thanks again!

Suzanne

did

didn't

Doing