Son lost jack tools -- help

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to cheaply "replace" a manual crank for the jack.

My bright-eyed son borrowed my rig, seemed to get it in his head it was a frustrated 4X4, drove it off off-road, smashed the tranny pan, smashed up the rear and managed to blow two out of four tires.

Everything is mostly back together, except for the body damage, but I am finding that he left the jack crank (as well as a tire and wheel) "out in the woods somewhere."

I could replace with with a floor jack or something, but there is no good solid, safe place to store it.

So, I have the jack. I have the lug wrench. But to operate the jack, I need the crank. It is basically a long metal pole with a couple of "ears on each side" that fit into slots on the jack. The lug wrench then fits on the end of this part.

Local wrecking yard wants $50 for a used "jack assembly." Anyone with any bright ideas on something I can use/make to get by. I thought about a big screwdriver, but when I tried it out, it seemed that with all the pressure being put on just one side of the slots, that I would quickly bend the slot out of shape.

This webpage has a picture of a jack that is sorta like the one I have, at least you can see the slots of the "ears"

timbirr

I'd say let your son pay for a new jack at least -- that would teach him a lesson where it really hurts... the wallet!

In the meantime, you just need something sturdy enough not to bend when you put force on it, and long enough to act as a lever-arm. Wear safety googles in case the bar pops out of the hole.

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
Ben

I suggest that you tell (not ask, TELL) your son that as well as reimbursing you for the damage to the car, he must go "out in the woods somewhere" and find your jack handle, or go get one and pay for it. You lent your son the car, and you should get it back in the same condition it was when you lent him the use of it. If you don't, you're not doing your son any favors. Trust me.

Reply to
mack

Junior can enrol at tech - night school - the amateur metal workers' course. Just a length of 8mm bar with a 4mm rod drilled & welde through it, the other end bend round. He could probably finish it in one or two nights then drop out, but he might understand the value of it better.

Reply to
jg

E-bay. Look for good price and cheap shipping. I bought a toyota jack two years ago for a car my wife bought that didn't have one. I think I paid $10 for the jack and tools and $10 for shipping & handling.

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
ycleptor2

Thanks all for the suggestions. Someone suggested checking with the dealer. While not cheap, I can get the missing part for $20, which would be about the cheapest I think I can get away with, and it will fit!

Junior has been a problem child for years. I won't bore the group, but we asked him to remove himself from the house in June when he turned 18 and failed to graduate HS.

He's been living in his car in the woods for the past three months (he has worked full-time this summer, last summer, as well as part-time during school).

While I could insist on his paying this off, it would be number #5 on the list after several other things he owes us for.

Reply to
timbirr

================= See:

Source of proven, practical, techniques that benefit both parent and child. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the contents and you can't go too far wrong for $9

Reply to
Daniel

This makes me sad, though I don't know the young man, nor you, his father. I do hope that you will come to some sort of agreement, or entente, or detente, which will change both your lives for the better. Keep on Truckin', and thanks for sharing.

Reply to
mack

Well, dear son has been through several counselors, a couple of psychologists, tested for learning disabilities, sent to boarding school for six months and then "two months of wilderness discovery," and still insisted on being a drug user with a smart mouth and little ambition.

In the meantime, I had to put a second mortgage on the house a few years ago to pay for the various therapies, and since my company is cutting back my position this year, we all might just end up in the woods with him (actually, we'll probably have to sell and move elsewhere, but approaching that when it comes).

But, the bright spot is that while he is nowhere near to being where he needs to be in terms of facing responsibilities, etc., he has made significant improvements since we have shown him the door. His next major step needs to be prioritizing his spending. But since he was fired from his job last week (no fault of his own, his employer was forced to cut a number of positions, also), I think that will soon take care of itself....

Reply to
timbirr

Friend, know you are not alone. Just as information, The Salvation Army has a rehab program based on work therapy that has help many such young men - and it is free. If he needs it [better than being in the woods] I'd recommend his checking it out.

George

Reply to
George and Jurate