stalls / hesitates when cold

My 1993 Camry six cylindar stalls or hesitates when the engine is cold. It rarely shuts completely off, but it will just barely go. After a few minutes of running, it runs great until the next morning. It acts just like the cars of the 70s when the choke was stuck. Have had complete tuneup -- wires, distributor, etc., throtle body cleaning, catalytic converter replacement -- about $900 into it so far and still have the problem. The Goodyear shop has literally given up and the Toyota dealer says they have no other ideas. My daughter drives the car so I consider it a safety hazard. What else to try???

Reply to
The Baxleys

Is the cold start valve still working? If not, you may want to have that checked.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Sounds like the famous "IAC ( idle air control) valve".

Google groups with "camry iac" for much information.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I checked with the mechanic, and he says that the cold start valve was the first thing they checked and that they cleaned the idle air control valve -- it also states this on the bill. Thanks for the suggestions. Any other thoughts?

Gene

Reply to
The Baxleys

Check your throttle intake hose from the air cleaner to the TB for cracks in the folds, as well as the hose from that hose to the IAC and any other hoses attached to the big one. Sounds like an air leak. Also check the MAF sensor at the air filter. Then check for good spark plugs, wires.

davemac

Reply to
davemac