starter lesson

My 1997 Camry 4 cyl. wouldn't start yesterday and several neighbors diagnosed it as a bad starter. I was stupid enough to accept their analysis and ran out and bought a rebuilt starter with a lifetime warranty for $143 + $60 core charge from a local parts store.

Before replacing it I noticed the hot stud was on the opposite side of the starter and the ignition switch connection was pointing the opposite way. I was a little nervous but went ahead and installed it and hooked up the wires. In actuality the placement of the hot stud was more convenient than the OEM Denso starter and made it easier to hook up.

Needless to say it still wouldn't start and I realized the Panasonic battery was dead. After a jump it fired right up and then I put the old one back in it started up after a jump. It didn't seem to be holding a charge and I've noticed it's been getting harder to start the vehicle before this occurred. A new Diehard battery is in the vehicle now.

Well now the parts dealer refuses to take back the new starter since it was installed and says there are no refunds on electrical items. My receipt doesn't state this, but theirs does. After some arguing with the manager he gave me the regional manager's number to talk to him. I haven't been able to contact him yet, but was hoping some here may give me ideas to use when talking with the regional manager.

Yes, I know it was stupid of me to buy the starter before having the car tested or at least attempt a jump, but I have learned a lesson. If they still won't refund me should I keep the OEM starter in there and try to sell the new one on Ebay, or put the new one back in and get $60 back for the core?

Reply to
badgolferman

Electrical items are not returnable once installed. That not only protects the shop, but the person who might next buy your returned starter, only to hook it up and find out that you damaged it, thus wasting their time and money.

The shop has no way of test the starter properly once it has been obviously installed, and their supplier won't accept it a return unless it is obviously defective.

I'd suggest, at the very least, keep the new starter: you may need it some day, and ask around for a pulled starter that you can return for the core.

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

I can't think of anyone who allows you to return electrical parts after installation. They have no way of knowing how it was hooked up, etc. Most receipts state this and most stores have signs stating no returns on electrical parts.

Reply to
max-income

To be honest you will probably never need the starter. I'd talk to manager and politely explain that you didn't know that electrical parts were not returnable and that upon installing it you noticed the connections were located in a different place. Would he be willing to refund your money minus say a 20% restocking fee. Worth a try. Alternative is ebay - you can say it was just mistakenly purchased and has a 1? year warranty thats godd for another 364 days ro so.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Roger that! --- unfortuantely doubt the new rebuilt one would fetch much more than the $60 core charge he'd loose. Would be worth $15 to invest in a volt meter for next time. Hopefully his neighbors have desk jobs and aren't mechanics (or engineers!)

Reply to
Wolfgang

Nice top post, "steve".

Reply to
dizzy

If the money is not an issue -keep the new starter and the OEM one. Find an old broken starter and turn it in for the core refund. Now you will have a spare starter, which means the one in the car will NEVER break down - just one of Murphy's Laws. You could have every spare part for a car except one and you know which one will fail . . .

Reply to
ma_twain

You're better off with the original Denso starter. Quality can vary greatly with aftermarket starters. Once bought one with a "lifetime" warranty for my 1977 Toyota pick up truck, and wound up replacing it three times for "free" except my labor of reinstalling it before demanding a refund. (With the truck it is not conveniently located right on top like the car - but under the block). Bought the factory starter and no problem ever since despite the fact that the truck often sits unused and (carburetor) needs a fair bit of cranking before starting. So you're out some money, but at least your car starts now.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Thank you all for your suggestions. This is what happened.

I called the regional manager and since he wasn't in, his boss offered to help me. I told him of my problem and pointed out several times that the hot stud was on the wrong side of the starter and I had to reroute and pull cables around. My receipt never stated electrical items were unreturnable and nobody informed me of that fact either. In addition I told him I have two older Camrys and was planning on doing much more business with his store. He asked what I suggested to make the situation right and I offered to pay $40 for a restocking fee. He agreed to a 20% fee and said they would return it to the manufacturer as defective since the stud is on the wrong side. He said he would call the local manager and take care of it and I thanked him profusely.

Reply to
badgolferman

a huge second to that daniel. the 'lifetime' warranty is ok, but i think they just charge a little more for them and they are the same as 'non-lifetime'.

i have had to replace a 'lifetime' master cylinder several times. the last time i replaced it, the brakes still failed and i took it to a mechanic who diagnosed the 'new' lifetime cylinder as bad.

even though you don't pay for the part, you still have the labor in replacing the 'lifetime' parts. and aggravation!!

You're better off with the original Denso starter. Quality can vary greatly with aftermarket starters. Once bought one with a "lifetime" warranty for my 1977 Toyota pick up truck, and wound up replacing it three times for "free" except my labor of reinstalling it before demanding a refund. (With the truck it is not conveniently located right on top like the car - but under the block). Bought the factory starter and no problem ever since despite the fact that the truck often sits unused and (carburetor) needs a fair bit of cranking before starting. So you're out some money, but at least your car starts now.

Reply to
steve

Reply to
Dean M