Starter repair

I remember sometime in the past that a kit was talked about here that repaired the contacts in the starter relay. My daughter's 1990 Camry is acting up again. I got by before by using a file on the contacts. This may be the time to replace the parts if someone can point me in the correct direction.

--
        Chuck Kampmiller
        Aloha, OR

My Trooper II had the same problem. I could have replaced the contacts but choose to replace the whole starter as it had to come out anyway, (I did it myself) and I did not want to repeat the job especially in the winter. The rebuilt starter was not that bad in price. Check with a major parts house in your area, I'm sure you will find the contacts at a reasonable price. Good luck

Reply to
<deiI

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

This

Her is a trap I found when re-assembling the starter after a contact change.

Basically the two threaded studs need a groove cut across their ends so they canbe held from twisting while their rspective nuts are tightened.

Search Result 1 From: Jason James ( snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.com) Subject: Starter:trap when installing new sol-contacts or tightening battery cable. This is the only article in this thread View: Original Format Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota.camry Date: 2004-08-18 22:15:08 PST

A greater starter would be hard to imagine (they are used to spin V8s when geared down), but the solenoid starter current contacts install had one easily missed trap.

They need to be dead-flat so all their available contact area is used. If they are not-so,..then early problems arise.

The problem occurs when the nut on each post ( one for the actual starter- motor,..the other for battery input) is tightened after all the new guts are installed or at any time the starter battery-cable is removed and replaced :

The stud will turn slightly as the nut is tightened. This causes the contact inside to 'c*ck' up at one end,..and down the other, making a clean and total contact by the solenoid bridging contact impossible as each contact will be tilted in reverse to each other,,,, the spring loaded contact-ring will not accomodate this mis-alignment. This rapidly leads to premature contact wear.

The trick (which the Gregories doesn't mention) is too hold the pinion out to the length of its engagement travel (a pair of vice -grips acting as a wedge of sorts,clamped with medium pressure on the pinion-boss) so the solenoid armature/plunger can be held down to cause the contacts to self-align. Then while this is all-happening, tighten the two contact studs. Remove the plunger return-spring while doing this last bit. The plunger just pulls out.

Applies to Toyotas and no doubt some other Jap cars with Nippon-Denso starter-motors.

One remedy when removing/replacing the starter during any job on the car: Its very important when undoing and tightening the nut on the battery-lug-post, to mark it first to make sure it ends up in the right position again. A screwdriver slot filed in the post-end would fix this problem.

Reply to
Jason James

"Chuck Kampmiller" sprach im news:p%G8d.193346$D%.111523@attbi_s51:

Dealer calls it a starter solenoid "stud kit".

--
TeGGeR®
Reply to

Yes, easy and inexpensive to replace the starter solenoid contacts if that is inded the problem:

--
   Roger
Reply to

Try here >>>>>>>>

Conase

I just go to a small engine shop and give them the starter and the new contacts. Check her battery too. I found that weak, insufficient, or cheap, small batteries make it worse. Insufficient power getting to the starter seems to accelerate the wear on the contacts, which may be due to the longer time it takes to crank the car.

Reply to
Viperkiller