Steering pump belt - Camry 1999 - 4 cylinder

Hi,

I see 2 belts in this car (Camry 1999 - 4 cylinder), larger one is for the Alternator and Compressor, a smaller one drives the steering pump. The larger one is tensioned by the Alternator mount that can ride up/down.

The smaller belt for the steering pump does not seem to have anything to take the tension off it. I have not done anything yet, I am just planning to change both belts together.

Please advise how to take the tension off of the smaller belt so I could change it.

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Kugar

These are cheap tensioning mechanisms (i.e., no automatic tensioners), so you have to loosen a pivot bolt and another bolt on an arc rail. Use a pry bar (like the following) to apply tension. Use a tension gauge or Krikit II to check tension. This design really stinks.

Pry bar: $3.99

Krikit II:

johngdole