Steering squeak, 1989 Camry, 5-spd stnd.

With just a slight turn of the steering wheel, and only to the left, a high-pitched, but not high-volume, squeaking is coming from the driver's side front wheel area. It's more whistle-like than screech-like. Past a certain point the squeak disappears. Happens only at slow speeds, never when braking. No squeaking when going straight, and none when turning fairly firmly left.

For my own learning's sake I'd like to see the problem for myself, up close. Any suggestions, suspicions, as to what might be causing this problem?

Many thanks for any input.

*** rib
Reply to
rib