Steering Sub-Par

We got a new 4 cyl. Camry about 1 year ago (2004 model). There's about

9600 miles on it. I've noticed a bit of a steering problem immediately after we got the car. It was a little more difficult than normal to keep it in its lane and it pulled a bit to the left. Took it back to the dealer and they said there was a tech bulletin on it and they said they fixed it. It was a bit better, but it still leaves something to be desired. It is a bit hard to keep it going in a straight line - - you have to continuously turn the wheel left or right slightly. Other cars I've driven don't have this problem. Has anyone else noticed this on the 2004s? It's not really bad, but the steering seems to require a bit more effort and concentration than normal. It could be smoother. Al
Reply to
Al

Have you tried rotating the tires. I would move fronts to back and see what happens.

Reply to
Art

As art said it may be the tires, all it takes is one pot hole and a belt can shift that will be unnoticable upon even removal of tire and inspection. I ruined Michelins at 25000m . I had a pull to the right and switched the tires then it pulled left confirming tires. Front tires take alot of abuse.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sounds like tires if swapping them moved the steering pull but there are much more significant problems out there and there is a fix for this long standing problem available from the dealer.

Check out:

Note that there are 10 pages of discussion on this steering stability problem.

Reply to
Fearless Fossdick