Stiff gas pedal' (99 Camry)

I have a 99 Camry with 97000 miles. Recently, the gas pedal is getting stiff particularly when it had a stop for a while. Because the pedal needs some push, sometimes it unnecessarily starts too hard. Is this something serious or something easily repaired? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Hong Gu Kang

The Throttle body of the fuel injection needs cleaning. You can do it yourself. Google for "camry throttle body cleaning".

Reply to
ROBMURR

My 2000 is sticking to the rest at the firewall. I have gotten under the dash and watched as I pressed the pedal. It was stuck to the rest, just as I feel it when I use my foot. There was "room" a the end of the cable which engages the pedal lever. and it broke loose before it got close to the cable stop/end...........then worked fine a few times, then stuck again. It feels like a magnetic "grip" to me.

Does this sound familiar?

I have yet to take it to the shop for service (under warranty still , Aftermarket warranty...................bought with the car) as I am not sure what I will get out of them for a repair. If I find that there is a definite repair available, I will take it to be fixed. otherwise I will probably have a go at it.

Is the rest at the forewall made of metal or rubber? I thought rubber by looking, but didn't get that far before I was removed for another project...................let us know if you find a solid fix for the problem you have. I , for one, will be watching for it.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Well the throttle shaft and butterfly valve will have a nice coat of crud on them making them stick in the closed(idle) position. It feels like a sticky gas pedal and is very annoying... I clean mine every 6 months or so. Make sure the cleaner you use says it is safe for oxygen sensors...

Reply to
ROBMURR

clean the throttle plate really thouroughly

Reply to
toyotawiz