Strange Clicking Noise from Engine

My 98 Camry has about 140Km miles. and is driven roughly 120 to 150 per day.

In the last couple of days, we have noticed a faint clicking that seems to peak at about 3000RPM while driving, then it quiets down. More recently (today) it is clicking while at idle. When I depress the accelerator slightly it becomes a little quieter, but again peaks as the RPMs approach

3000. It has been suggested to me that the timeing is off or maybe the cam os or lifters are out of adjustment/going bad.

Any ideas? Is there a remedy short of major engine repair?

Reply to
infntrymn

You need to be more specific as to where this clicking seems to originate.

If from the engine, open the hood and move the throttle by hand to see if you can determine wheter the noise is coming from the front, rear, left or right side, - perhaps near the top? Could be something in the brakes, a loose heat shield, don't assume engine repair until you isolate the source further. If you've been changing the oil, the engine should be fine.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks, Daniel. I have listened under the hood, and the noise seems to come from the top left (top of the engine on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The engine is trans-mounted but it is definitely internal. I had thought the belt or one of the pulleys was loose, but the more I listen, the more it sounds internal.

Reply to
infntrymn

Also Think about the possibility that this could be quite simple. I had a similar noise on my last Camry. Turned out to be a small piece of the belt stil holding on after it started to shred just a little. New timing belt was the cure. The position noted on your post would suggest this is a possible item to check. Good luck

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I had the mechanic who changes the oil listen and he called the symptom a "Rod-Knock" which he explained is a result of the CAM abd pistons being out of allignment. He indicates that if this is correct, repair is either to have a new CAM "machined" as well as getting new associated parts (pistons, rods, etc.) Alternatively I could buy another engine (new or used). Both options seem extreme for a car that is nearly 8 years old. Does anyone have any idea what this problem is and a possible solution.

Reply to
infntrymn

A "rod-knock" is not a click, it is a hard, heavy, deep metal to metal clunk. The first one will usually scare you due to it's severity. If cam and pistons are out of alignment you can have possible low performance, backfiring, stumble and hard starts or a combination of these. If the engine is interferance and you have this then a valve will hit a piston and cause damage and the symptoms won't be clicking. You really need a listening device, some experienced mechanics will use a tube or long metal device such as a screw driver, one end held close to an ear and the other end touching various parts of the engine to find the source. (Be very careful of moving parts) The best option is a mechanic's stethoscope to find where the click is coming from as sound will travel through metal and all over the engine compartment. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92