Strange Engine Symptoms...

Car starts... But when you hit the gas, you have to do it VERY gradually or it seems to cut off all fuel flow. I thought maybe a vacuum hose had come off, but they all seem to be fine. New air filter. Newish plug wires but definitely good.

Thoughts?

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

Sounds like you are getting too much fuel or not enough timing advance. Cam timing off will cause this as well. Are all sensors plugged in? Try unplugging them and replugging to clean possible dirty connections. Is distributor loose or cap loose? How old is vehicle and mileage? If high miles has timing belt been replaced? You didn't mention the year, if later than 1996 it can be scanned for codes. Autozone will do this for free. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Thank you.

1998 Camry. 140,000 miles. Had it's timing belt done a year or two ago and we don't drive THAT much. :)

Will check the sensors again and do that stuff...

Check Engine light is also on so that indicates something too... I just don't have a clue what.

Not driveable to an Autozone. Barely made it 1/2 mile downhill to shop last night for prelim drop-off.

Reply to
Joe

They can't find the problem at the shop. They think the timing belt may have jumped a notch... Even though I had it done less than 30,000 miles ago.

Thoughts?

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

Lots of times "fuel" problems can actually be electrical. The fuel systems on the Camry don't cause very many problems. When you say "newish" plug wires, were they genuine Toyota parts? If not, try replacing those, along with stock ND or NGK spark plugs. Many times aftermarket plug wires can cause problems.

Reply to
Daniel

Possible timing belt being off.

Other possible causes include fuel starvation (clogged filter, broken line, fuel pump?) or ignition timing being way off. Pull a spark plug after it dies and look at the color. Red is lean and wet black is way rich. Isolate if it's a fuel, air or spark issue.

This problem didn't just start up on it's own did it?

Reply to
amerikim