strange sound in front wheel well area

In my '99 camry, if I listen carefully while driving, I can hear a strange noise occasionally in the front right side wheel well area.

To describe the sound - sounds like a mouse is living in the wheel well and is moving around. Doesn't happen continuously, happens whether or not I hit a small bump/pothole in the road.

What could this be? Loose brakes? Loose struts?

Reply to
onehappymadman

Is it more noticeable when cold? Have you ever had the strut mounts replaced? That generation came with defective mounts. Don't think the updated ones fixed them for long before crapping out. Bad struts or bushings can also make noise.

It's more cost effective to get Monroe Quick-struts with all new components then buying parts individually. Change at least a pair (axle) at a time.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Different rig, but....I had a similar sound. Drove me crazy. Finally took it to the stealership.

Diagnosis, loose wheel cover. To prove, removed it for a few weeks. sound disappeared.

Odds are, not your problem. But you never know...

Reply to
timbirr

If by "mouse sound" you mean occasional squeaking, most likely culprit is the stabilizer bar bushings. Fairly simple and inexpensive to replace (though access is limited, you have to remove the front wheels and be patient or buy some GearWrenches because you can only turn one of the bolts a tiny bit at a time) - just remove the two bolts holding the cover and install the part, which comes split to fit around the bar. Spread some silicone grease first to help eliminate the squeak. If you can't find silicone grease, get a small tube of dielectric tune up grease - same thing. Stabilizer bar bushings isolate the bar from the frame. Stabilizer or anti-sway bars limit body roll during turns. I noticed the squeaking most on a gentle turn with a dip in it. Squeaking sounds (if this is the cause) should be more pronounced when the stabilizer bar is under load, ie., during a turn, or if a single wheel is going over a bump.

Reply to
Daniel

[...]

Yes, occasional squeaking only, but not necessarily when I hit a bump on the road. Would bad struts cause this squeaking too? Just to eliminate variables, I went ahead and removed the wheel cover at work in the parking lot. I'll see if there's still a sound when I drive home for lunch.

So, the stabilizer bar is the same as the (anti-) sway-bar?

Just replace the bushings, or the whole sway bar?

Is this a safety issue that requires my immediate attention, or is this just an annoyance that can be safely ignored for now?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
onehappymadman

Stabilizer bar = [old] antisway bar. Unless the bar is bent, you don't need to replace it. Just use rubber bushings, not polyurethane -- they'll easily squeak like you have a giant mouse under there often when properly lubricated.

If the bushings are the cause, then new ones should help. Don't use petro lube that will harm the rubber. But if you have noise going straight on a well surfaced road then the problems may be more with the struts (and/or mounts) as struts compress and extend even on smooth roads.

Work the stabilizer bars in turns or go over a bump one wheel first, and work the struts/mounts going perpendicular over bumps and dips like a roller coaster.

Reply to
johngdole

Maybe your breaks are worn and sticking I had that issue , new brakes fixed it maybe strut get it looked at.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yeah, I'll have the brakes inspected at the local Firestone... it's $20 for a brake inspection, good deal, they'll know what to look for better than I would.

You know, I noticed the noise also comes if I hit a slight bump on the road. So maybe the problem is caused by the struts after all... no noise on turning, so does this eliminate the stabilizer bar?

Reply to
onehappymadman

The problem is most likely the bearing at the top of the strut tower. It is a problem on '98-'99 Camrys. I've got to replace the struts on my '98 as the clunking is getting real bad now.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

Does it affect the drive quality at all?

Is it just an annoyance, or is it a safety hazard?

Reply to
onehappymadman

The bearing gets slammed by the upper spring seat and the mount from both sides as the rubber looses its integrity.

When you add up all the parts, the Monroe Quick-Strut with all new components sound like a real good deal. I haven't take a test ride for a long while now to know the current generation of valving. But some love today's Sensatrac ride.

A strut is a structural component. So it's not like a noisy speaker and it bounds to be a safety problem when the structure is compromised I would think.

Reply to
johngdole