struts?

How do the Gabriel Ultra struts compare to the original Toyota struts?

Thinking of changing my front struts soon - the ride is a bit rough.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I have used Gabriels and Monroes on other cars, but not specifically on a Toyota. The concensus on other newsgroups is that these are probably not the best choices. They seem to work well enough when new, but maybe dont stay "new" very long.

Do you know if Bilstein makes strut cartridges for your Camry?

Reply to
<HLS

I found Bilsteins for your year and model car online. They are about $85 each. How much will Toyota OEM cost you?

Reply to
<HLS

toyotadiscountparts.com: Description Year MSRP Price Core Price Your Price All Right - 4 cylinder - 4 cylinder 95-96 $157.70 $118.28 All Left - 4 cylinder - 4 cylinder 95-96 $142.30 $106.73

Where'd you find the Bilsteins? Are Bilsteins the struts Toyota puts on at the factory?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

If your'e the original owner of the toyota then struts are still under liftime warranty, as I read on their website.

How do the Gabriel Ultra struts compare to the original Toyota struts? >

Reply to
EdV

That's interesting...thanks!

Reply to
mrdarrett

I called the dealership, and the guy there said the lifetime warranty only covers purchase of struts, not struts installed on a (then-new) car.

The language "installed at Toyota dealerships" is key.

d'OH!

So, if I come back 10 years from now with a complaint the struts need changing, I guess they'll replace for free. Assuming I still have the receipts.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Ill find the link for you and post it a little later. This particular shop had other brands as well.

I bought Bilsteins for my van a few years ago, and they were the best single improvement I made to this vehicle, which had EVIL handling properties.

Reply to
<HLS

Below is the reference to the Bilstein website. The struts are expensive on this site.

Some suppliers will give you a discount...

Here is one of them

BUT, I found cheaper this morning. Havent found my way back to that site yet.

KYBs are also listed, at around $70 each.

If you just do a Google search, I think you can find some good offers.

Reply to
<HLS

Ohh, I didn't know that until now. I wonder what's the difference between installed by the factory and installed by the dealer. I learned something new again.

Reply to
EdV

Bilsteins are GOOD, but you pay for them!

For less than that price you can get an adjustable KYB or Tokico, or get the adjustable Konis (too soft? Crank it up a click! Too hard? Crank it down a click!)

The KYBs for my Supra are ~$50 at CarQuest (CarQuest now sells Lifetime KYBs as their brand shock) I can't see a Camry shock being a lot more than that!

Monroes and Gabes are OK if you selling the car in the next 35,000 miles...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Toyota OEM are *usually* Tokico. Sometimes KYB, but not often.

Try AutoZone for the Bilsteins. For my Supra they are about $85 each.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I agree..My point, which I approached rather asymtotically, is that you dont have to buy Toyota OEM to get quality, and that if you shop around you can get some good prices.

Reply to
<HLS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Not if you complain about the shocls and the mechanic or service writer says "Nah, they're fine. Fuggedaboudit."

Reply to
mack

== Seems like everyone's got an opinion about shocks. I did have original equipment Bilsteins on a Mercedes and they were fine, but what I've seemed to notice about Toyota is that the engineering is exceptional, thus I'm inclined to keep the Toyota "all Toyota." My suggestion for struts, based on recent experience with similar vehicle and mileage to Mr. Darr, is to also check the ball joints, control arm bushings and CV joint play. I would up replacing all of these with original equipment and the car is now very smooth, stable and very controllable even at 90 mph. or more. When I replaced the shocks on my Toyota truck I had to go out and count the number of leaf springs, to be able to order just the right part. I'm not sure you're going to find another brand that is designed as extensively exclusively for your Toyota. They've got what now something like fifity years experience? Feel free to do as you like, just my opinion. - seems to me every aspect of that vehicle is designed with consumate care and I like to maintain the like new operating characteristics. If I were doing it again, in addition to the strut mounts, I might also replace the springs. Sag on mine is in the range of 1/2" to 3/4" which is minor, but you're right there anyway.

Reply to
Daniel

Springs... is it possible that's all I need?

I'm not noticing any leaking on my struts, and my only "symptoms" are a somewhat rough ride. Car is controllable at all times.

So, would I need new springs, struts, or both?

Michael Darrett

Reply to
mrdarrett

You would NEVER replace springs without struts(well not in a comercial workshop anyway) Dave

Reply to
videokid400

Are your springs sagging? Does the car have stability in lane changes? etc. Try measuring the corner heights and compare to spec. Struts can fail hard. The oil thickens from repeated heating/cooling cycles of the movement of the piston.

I think OEM Toyotas pretty much use KYBs these days (a.k.a. "Keep Your Bilsteins" in the tuner circle). Tokicos may still be found if TRD still uses them. Many in the tuner circle love Tokicos. IMO, KYB aren't worth the time putting in, with or without the Toyota name.

If it's for your 96 then you can consider getting Bilsteins at your local Autozone. Bilsteins are excellent struts and Autozone has good prices for them but only up to 1996 Camrys. Bilsteins (Touring, HD, or Sport) are light years ahead of KYB and Tokico. The only thing is that some find Bilsteins a little on the firm side (even the Touring) but would give you better handling.

Newer than 96? Well the Gabriel Ultras worked fine so far and they carry a lifetime parts warranty at a good price (look for the Autozone coupons on their web site). Autozone will even let you borrow the spring compressors. The Ultras mop up street irregularities at low speeds and offer better stability at highway speeds. I should have junked the Toyota struts sooner because they let you know every pavement crack and paint stripe and tend to give out during highway clover ramp turns.

Yeah, I've heard about the budget line, blue light specials from Monroe and Gabriel. Stay away from those and stay with only the Reflex or Ultra. And KYBs? Just "Keep Your Bilsteins" ;)

BTW, you need to get an alignment afterwards. Now about $60 street price on a good Hunter alignment platform.

johngdole

Ok, so let's say I'm gonna do this, and maybe have a mechanic do the labor.

So, I'll need struts, springs... what else? (trying to stick with Toyota parts)

Toyota part numbers would be great too...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Definitely get new rubber boots and spring seats. You may want to use new strut bumpers. You may not need new front bearings, bearing plates. This may be a good time to change the problematic front mounts.

If you're going for all new parts, the Monroe QuickStrut may be more cost effective at about $230 per corner. And they run specials at times where they'll pay you to take them off (usually $50 a corner labor) if you don't like them. Check monroe.com for details.

Reply to
johngdole