Sudden A/C loss ... cost?

My A/C went out rather rapidly - first I noticed it just wasn't as cold as usual; 10 min later it wasn't cold at all.

I've got a good list of things to check, and I guess I hope it is just a drive belt - but if it is a leak, what am I looking at, cost wise? Worth repairing or let the next person decide to do it?

1995 Camry LE 4cyl.

thanks, Russell

Reply to
Russell

Is the compressor running? If so, there are inexpensive gauges at Walmart and auto parts stores that will let you read at least the low side pressure. For example, it shouldn't be 0 or nearly so.

If just a recharge, it's usually $100. Additional o-rings and labor adds up. If they open up the system you may be looking at $300 labor

+parts. If it comes to a compressor the labor is about $600 plus parts (easily totals $1000+).

has many articles > My A/C went out rather rapidly - first I noticed it just wasn't as cold

Reply to
johngdole

On a twelve year old car, it could be the compressor, which is big bucks. Based on your symptoms (rapid failure) compressor failure is likely, especially if it makes some unusual noises.

Reply to
Mark A

Thanks. I can't tell if the compressor is running, except I suspect it is b/c pressing the A/C button causes something to happen (something is drawing on the power). I used a Haynes manual and some web-based A/C diagrams (Camry-specific) to check things like was the belt slipping, etc., and the only item that I can see/identify is the sight glass for the refrigerant. I see nothing in it, but on the other hand, and this is weird, the A/C started working again yesterday! Just as it had before. No idea what caused it to fail on Friday, and no idea how that failure could be "reversed" just by letting it sit overnight.

Meanwhile I will keep monitoring it. For 12 years old I don't expect perfection, but A/C is a must where I live (Tennessee).

Again, thanks for the replies everyone.

Reply to
Russell

MY `02 Camry-4 (60,000 miles)went the same way only it never came back on.

(made in Japan)

taking it to a reliable A/C shop recomended by the dealer it was discovered there was a leak in a double tube that is part of the A.C sytem. (No I dont know what it does)

Anyway the new double tube was $398.00 Canadian +labour +taxes and R-134 came to almost $650.00.(Canadian) NO after market parts available for Toyota here.

Hope this helps .

think I`ll go back to Honda next car .I never had problems like A/C and charcoal canisters in my Hondas.

Reply to
mred

If that's the case, check the condenser fan. That's usually on the passenger side (or the driver side, depending on the arrangement for the year) behind the radiator. It should turn when you press the AC button.

If the condenser fan isn't working when it's HOT out there, then excessive high side pressure can trip a pressure switch (on the receiver/drier) and turn off the AC. When things cool down, it'll work again.

Reply to
johngdole

Ouch. Well, I've had both, and on the whole, the Honda was more fun, but the Toyota has had fewer hard-to-fix nuisance problems (like fogged headlight/taillight assemblies, rust. But I'm comparing a Civic to a Camry. The Accord may have had higher quality.

Reply to
Russell