Sudden Acceleration

I just purchased a 1992 Toyota Camry in excellent condition bu I only encountered one problem. While driving the car it experienced a heavy acceleration as if I was stepping on the accelerator and not letting go. I tried stepping several times on the accelerator itself to see if the condition would stop but it did not. I eventually had to parke the car and open the hood where I then observed the throtle valve completely opened and had to manually bring it back to its position normal position and it then stopped the problem. I then stepped on the accelerator again and once again it did the same thing, the RPM's were almost off the chart since it was reving so high. The throttle body of the vehicle is new as it was replaced by the previous owner thinking this was the problem but obviously it was not. What can this be , any ideas? I kind of think that it might be the throttle cable getting stuck but just want to make sure. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reply to
Rabinoso

Disconnect your intake hose and have someone step on the gas while you look inside and see what happens to your throttle valve and cables around and everything

Reply to
Maim Menu

And if it does get stuck, go to the dealer, get some Toyota Throttle Plate Cleaner (about $6), and clean the throttle plate with an old toothbrush and this cleaner.

I tried both this one and a generic one from Pep Boys (safe for oxygen sensors and catalytic converters, blah blah) and I noticed that the Toyota one dissolved black crap from my toothbrush better than the generic one...

Reply to
mrdarrett