Suspected oil leak

Hi, I have a 1994 Camry LE with around 89k miles. Engine type 4 cylinder

5SFE. I am not much of a DIY kinda person, so I recently got my oil changed at Pepboys around a month ago. A few days ago, I discovered that the engine oil filler cap was thrown open atop the engine and oil (droplets) was sprewn all over the engine outer side and surrounding areas. (Thanks to the Pepboys guys. I still don't believe it that the Pepboys guys did such a lousy oil change) A few days later, I discovered oil droplets dripping from the bottom of the car. Usually I would see a few droplets deposited on the bottom in the morning. I opened up the hood to see oil sprewn on the floor of the car -- below the radiator and the fans, both on the left and the right sides. I strongly believe that it is this oil that is drippping below the car. However, I am not sure whether there's a leak or it is the same oil that had initially sprewn around the oil filler cap area due the cap being open. The filler cap area is however quite away from the front radiator portion. Do you guys know how I can check if theres a leak? Also, the oil level is currently showing as below the Low level and hence I plan to top it up. I guess, if the oil level decreases again, I can suspect that there's a leak; but I guess that can take a while (if its a small leak) since I don't drive a lot, only around 100 miles a week. Another query I have is that -- Are there any oil-lubricated parts around the fans or the radiator such that in case of a leak it would get deposited below the radiator? Also, if the leak was at the engine oil drain plug or the oil filter, would it get deposited below the radiator? Any help would be appreciated.

-Kunal

Reply to
Kunal

Instead of Pep Boys, go to Advance Auto and buy some engine degreaser. Follow the instructions and clean the areas that you are suspicious of. Thereafter drive around and see if it is leaking from those areas again. Make sure you have put more oil in there also. Otherwise take it somewhere and have them check for oil leaks professionally.

Reply to
badgolferman

excessive oil from moving the oil filter(under the exhaust manifold) sometimes finds its way to the fan shreud and near the radiator area. Wipe off all the excess oil you can see, then drive the car around a bit. Then take a peak underneath the hood. If no new oil is present, problem solved. If you do however notice fresh oil, either tighten down the new oil filter or remove it and replace it with a new one. The oil filter may be have a doulbe gasket causing it to leak.

Reply to
justinm930

I had this problem some years ago. I had just picked up a FORD CAPRI UUUGH from a service.

I drove about 5 miles into town. when parked I saw oil dripping down from the RADIATOR area.

On inspection I found they had left the dip stick sat on the TOP of the engine, not in the tube to sump.

The oil was blowing up on to the underside of the bonnet and running FORWARD not back to the firewall.

So was dripping onto the Radiator area. Just maybe your problem.

Garage blamed me for not checking there work. Aaaaa well.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Thanks, I will try these out and let you guys know.

-Kunal

Reply to
Kunal