suspension

I've gone over the curb a couple times and whenever I'm on slightly uneven pavement or driving over small bumps there is some rumbling and vibration in my 4cyl 99 Camry. I get someone to looking at it and he says the bushings are shot so I need to replace the struts and strut mounts for all sides at a cost of 1500 buckaroos. Is there a cheaper option? I don't mind the vibration and sound so much as I want to prevent further damage.

Reply to
nkomli

To save money the mechanic has to diagnose the problem correctly. Noises are always hard to diagnose, because sounds can travel from one part to the next.

That said, the front strut mounts of that generation of Camrys were problematic. Some came defective from the factory. And after all these years the rubber spring seats and struts probably need to be replaced along with the mounts.

The stablizer bushings are less of a problem. However, the engine mounts and lower control arm bushings can crack with age. So it's important the mechanic properly isolate the noise.

Reply to
johngdole

BTW, if you isolate the problem only to the front strut assemblies then you can consider Monroe QuickStrut. It's about $200 each (plus shipping). You'll get all new components and shops can usually install them $30-50 a corner. Then another $60 for alignment, hopefully on a recently calibrated Hunter machine.

Or you can do just the fronts and see how things go. Plus alignment of course

http://www.m> I've gone over the curb a couple times and whenever I'm on slightly

Reply to
johngdole

Do the noises go away for a time when you spray silicone on the front rubber strut mounts?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

how much did you think it was going to cost? have the dealer look at it too, if you need a second opinion. you can buy suspension parts cheaper online but your mechanic may not appreciate it. after 10 years and some obvious abuse you should ensure that the work is comprehensive. you are going to pay a lot for labor, make sure they replace all the worn parts now so you aren't facing yet another big bill in a couple of years. or buy a new Camry now that they're so cheap.

Reply to
ACAR