Sway bar bushes - broken stud

Trying the put new sway bar bushings on a 2000 camry.

Unfortunately the first stud I tried to remove broke - that after a good dousing in WD40.

What to do next? The bushing holder seem to be screwed to a smallish piece of subframe that looks as if it might be possible to remove. No sign of this in the Hayes manual though.

Anyone come across this before? Is it possible to get the part of the frame off the car so I can wrestle with it on the bench or does the broken sud have to be removed underneath the car?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Is it front or rear? That is, can you get a drill into the broken bolt ( I doubt it was a stud?). If so, using the correct tap drill size, drill down the broken bit as near to centre as you can, then tap it out with the same thread as it had originally (check with the other side). With any luck you will be able to recover enough holding power to put in a new bolt. Don't tighten it too much!!

If you cannot do this you will indeed need to do something heroic>

Cheers

Reply to
whitefamily1