Temp Guage Not Working - Checked Sensor, Thermostat, Fuses...

My aunt's car is a 1995 Toyota Camry with the 2.2.

The problem is the trans is not shifting into overdrive because the coolant/water/engine temp guage in the dash stays at "C" at all times. I have researched this problem and apparently this is a feature of the transmission (not shifting into OD unless it thinks temp is X degrees) and with a failed temp guage I would expect the trans to act up.

But I can't figure out why this guage isn't working. I replaced the temp sensor. Checked for stuck open thermostat. Checked all fuses. The dial still stays at C.

Could it be a bad guage cluster? But...if that were the case the temp data would still reach the trans and she would not be experiencing the shifting problems, right? Unless the temp data hits the cluster FIRST, and then goes to the transmission, but does not seem logical.

She took it to a mechanic and he has no clue, and neither do I. I need some help. Anyone suggest trying anything? Thank you in advance for any help offered...

rich mcquail

Reply to
Rich McQuail

[...]

Another thing guys. Now the transmission is...shit..I don't know how to explain it. There is no power. Its as if, if it were a manual (it is automatic), its acting like it would if I were to keep it in a higher gear than needed and there would be no quick acceleration...just very SLOW acceleration.

Transmission I'm thinking...but what about that damn guage?! Are they related? I've checked the trans fluid, all good. Perhaps a solenoid? Or a speed sensor?

thanks guys...

rich

Reply to
Rich McQuail

The temperature sensor you need to check (or replace) should be the first one on the left where the water outlet exits the head near the upper radiator hose connection. Think it may have a green color top. This sensor also signals the ECM computer for fuel control in addition to keeping the transmission out of overdrive until warm. If the computer is receiving a signal that the engine is cold when it's actually warm, the fuel mixture will be over rich and power will suffer. Perhaps you need to find a mechanic more familiar with Toyota. MIght be worth going to the dealer service department for this one. If they fix it right the first time, cost will most likely be less, than someone uncertain about where to look.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

No go. I replaced the temp sensor and there was no change. The indicator still stays at C all the time and the transmission is still acting strange. I also tested the old one by hooking an Ohm meter up to it to see if its values would change as its temperature did, and it tested fine. So its not the temp sensor. Frayed wire between sensor and dashboard? Blown guage? Ugh...

Reply to
Rich McQuail