Testing a MAPP sensor?

Found out what the vacuum sensor assembly was, just a MAPP sensor. Does not give an failure code on the ECM. Book explains how to test, but want to make sure the values for the test are acurate. Initial test shows 3.5V and with 25 inHG it gives a reading of 1.5V. The manual indicates it should be approximately 0.5V. What does approximately mean and is 1.5V close enough or is that an indicator of MAPP sensor failure. Can't find spare parts at salvage yards to compare and the new one that I ordered is quite expensive ($250 U.S.). It would be nice to find out it someone is an expert on this sensor to make sure it is bad.

Reply to
dvo

Considering that the circuit works on a range of 0 to 5 volts, I would consider a 1v discrepancy to be well out of range, so I'd call it a bad sensor. I trust you're using a vacuum gauge and a meter?

Reply to
qslim

The Autozone's free online guide shows 19.69 in/Hg will result in about 2v drop. So 5V input - 2V drop = 3V reading.

But 25 in/HG is way off the charts. Tray again with 4-19 in/HG of vacuum and compare to the AutoZone chart:

BTW, the good old 3SFE kinda sucks. But I don't know any 3SFE can literally suck 25 in/HG vacuum. So check your manual again.

Reply to
johngdole