The day my baby died...

I was driving home in my baby from work last week. As usual, the fast lane was the slowest lane during rush hour and our lane was stopped. In the rear view mirror I saw a Jeep Liberty barreling down my lane. He was 1/4 mile at least. He made no effort to cut down his speed until he was less than 100 ft away. I guess he had just noticed that we were stopped. Sensing what was going to happen, I maneuvered my car to the shoulder of the road so that he would have a couple more feet to stop. Apparently he had the same idea. He managed to stop just short of me. Unfortunately he stopped so quickly that the Toyota pickup behind him barely had time to hit the brakes. Toyota pickup crashed into Liberty crashed into Camry. My baby was totaled, the rear end being nothing but a hunk of twisted metal. Needless to say, the Toyota pickup's insurance company is picking up the tab. Here is my question: The insurance company totaled my car. They are offering about $3200+taxes for a fully loaded, 1990 Camry V6 LE with 126,000 miles on it. Since I wasn't planning on selling it, I had no idea of the value, so I looked at the classifieds and found

4 ads for the same vehicle (almost all had more miles on them than mine) and the average came to about $4700. I figure this to be kinda high, with these being dealership prices. I told the insurance company that I thought their offer was low. They replied that their figure was fair and was arrived at by outsourcing a service called Autosource, who had 37 vehicles of the same make and model within a 96 mile radius in their listings database. How can Autosource have 37 1990 Camry LE's when I could only find 4??? I used as many online search engines as I could find. I asked to see the listings that Autosource used so that I could verify the price and the insurance agent indicated that she would send the listings to me. What do you guys think? Should I take the money and run?? Should I hold out? They seem to have a good case for their price, although I haven't seen the data yet. I've never negotiated with an insurance company before. Anyone have any tips?
Reply to
TDY

I would suggest to the insurance company they give you the addresses of the location of these available autos. It they cannot then I think their price is low. While 4700 is the asking retail price I figure you could buy them for $4000 + taxes. Therefore would ask to settle at $4000. You in all likelihood will want to move up a few years any way and still will be paying out additional funds. May just as well get all you can from the insurance company as they never go down in their rates. I would be fighting like hell for a better price just on that principal alone.

The Artful Codger

was the slowest

shoulder of the road

hunk of twisted

found 4 ads for

Autosource used so

seen the data yet.

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Asking price is that asking price most will come down alot, on that year. Google you will find alot for sale at high prices , maybe Auto trader if i remember. The key is getting one priced in the condition of your car .

Reply to
mark Ransley

the slowest

Don't know if this helps, but for the future, in similar situations, I always activate the emergency flashers temporarily, and step on and off the brake pedal to flash the rear brake lights, trying to give the guy behind a clue.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

check some online value guides like

edmunds showed a fully loaded 1990 V6 Camry LE with 126,000 miles dealer price of $3600, private party $2424

hope this helps.

Reply to
scottyinco

Reply to
TDY

I would be quickly renewing my policy with those folks. The Artful Codger

TDY wrote:

Reply to
Artfulcodger

I know it is

On a 1990 Camry V6, you can bet it would of beena bout $500 if it was a Taurus.

Reply to
MDT Tech®