the timing some how got off wack

89 camry been running fine until today. timing has somehow got messed up.just had my alternator fixed and now this and don't now how to fix it and its running real rough can't really drive it.also i have a little hole in the muffler.so the muffler is louder and my timing is off. anybody if you can give me some ideas of what this could be thanks jesse
Reply to
jesse76

Alex Marcuzzi

Replace the timing belt... It most likely has skipped a tooth and the next step is to replace the engine when the belt lets go at speed.. Zero clearance motor.. The belt is a $200.00 (US) job from Toyota.. Much cheaper than the engine...

-R

--
 Rich Hall - rich@hnet.us - Network Support
 http://www.hnet.us/

R: An '89 Camry I4 (2.0) and V6 (2.5) are not interference engines so ... should the belt fail, there will *not* be a catastrophic mechanical event.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

How do you know its off. 5 degrees can be normal for a stretched belt. If its old and loose it may skip

Reply to
m Ransley

I bought a '99 XLE V6 in early December, 8500km ago. Since then I've averaged 30 mpg (Cdn) combined. 120 kph on highway plus city driving.

Reply to
Father Guido