Think I will keep my old Camry...

Was thinking of getting a new car in 2004...but Currently have a 1997 Camry LE bought new in late 1996. Looks great, runs great, I maintain it very well with near monthly oil changes and flushed trans every 30,000 miles. Mileage now is 170,000miles! Pulled the valve cover off and clean as can be in there. My mechanic thinks it can go much longer. Uses no oil, no smoke, flawless shifting. New steering rack and recently front struts and a fuel injector cleaning have been the only repairs needed since new. Of course been thru a couple timing belts but that is normal maint.Since I am not driving nearly as much as before, why get a new Camry? looks are similar nothing on the new one I dont really need. Thought about putting new wheel bearings and bushings in the front and rear, CV boots, full set of brakes, valve adjustment, some small oil leak fixed, all new hoses,etc...maybe put $1,000 into it and be able to drive it for another reliable 80,000 miles. I am now driving less than 15,000 miles a year. At that point it would still be worth at least the $1,000 I put into it. $1,000 would not even cover my sales tax on a new $20,000 Camry LE. Not to mention payments and higher insurance and tag fees for the new one. I think you have to get ABS as an option now too while mine came with it.. Anyone else got a high mileage Camry they want to keep forever? Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR

People like you are ruining the economy. Go out and get a 5 year loan and buy the most expensive Lexus you can find.

Reply to
Art Begun

I only drove 160 K miles. I drive on propane. My car will be 6 years old in Febr. 2004. Similar experience like you. I think I go on for another 6 years!

Zwerius Kriegsman The Netherlands.

Reply to
kriegsman

nonono, he is contributing to the economy by saving up his money in the banks and hence contributing a greater cash flow to the economy.

Reply to
Godzilla

With Camry's and other reliable cars, the major reason you want to get another car/year model is if you get bored with your Camry. If not, more power to ya.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

I've got 140,000 on my '91 DX. No signs that she's giving out on me any time soon!

Josh

Reply to
Joshua Smeltser

Tell us about that propane stuff. It sounds interesting. How did you get it to run on propane?

Reply to
Mercury

It's quite common in our country to use propane as fuel. My estimation is that 5-10% of the cars use propane. I think maybe 60-70% of the fuel stations sell propane. You can just go to your dealer and ask for an LPG-installation to build in. It contains a propane tank (in my case 70 litre) which can never be filled for more than 80%. There's an automatic fillstop at 80% for safety. Offcourse the tank has a safety valve (blowing off to the outside of the car) set at 16 bar (as faras I know). I' ve never noticed it was operating. But it shouldn't offcourse. There's a propane pump inside the tank. There's also a level indicator on the tank (and the one on the dashboard, for petrol, is used for propane when you drive on propane). You can choose whether you drive on petrol or propane by a switch. Then there's the propane line ofcourse from the tank in the trunk, to the motor compartment. There's an electromagnetic valve and from ther it goes to the propane injectors in the intake manifold. The principle is the same as with the fuel injectors for petrol, but they are for higher pressures ofcourse. Then there's the electronic's box, to which the lambda-sensor is connected and from where the propane injector's are controlled. It's more or less an identical system as used for the petrol injectors.

Advantages of propane: very clean fuel (oil is staying clean for a long time) cheap fuel (in our country about ? 0,35/litre compared to ? 1,10/litre for petrol) you can drive a long distance when you use both, petrol and propanetank

Disadvantages of propane: it takes a part of the trunk the car is getting heavier in our country we have to pay more roadtax when we drive on propane. But when you drive a lot, the low litreprice wins :-) installationcost (which in my case was about ? 3,800)

Hope this is enough information for you?

Best regards, Zwerius Kriegsman

Reply to
kriegsman

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I would do it if the initial costs were not so high.

Reply to
Mercury

Does anyone know if I can get a LPG installation kit for a 90 camry? And how much was the install to propane?

kriegsman wrote:

Reply to
DH

I would like to add a few more: - fuel consumption (=liters consumed for every km driven) is higher (+20-30%) - engine power is lower - you're not allowed to park your car in certain public (underground) parking garages, or to drive to certain tunnels - a few more components in the car. More components=lower MTBF and higher maintenance costs ;-)

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps