Tie rod problem?

My car has 2 steering symptoms. The first feels like bump steer, whenever I go over a bump the car seems to change direction. This is especially bad in a turn.

The second symptom is always present, even on smooth roads. When you keep the steering wheel straight, the car pulls in one direction. After a mile or so, it pulls in the other direction. It's as if the car can't keep its toe/alignment.

What can cause such behavior? Tie rods?

Thanks, Tripurari

Reply to
ts

Some additional information would be useful in diagnosing the cause of the condition, like vehicle type and model, model year, mileage (kilometers driven - kilometerage?), suspension and alignment history, condition, age, and mileage on the tires.

There are several possible causes to the symptom you are experiencing. The ball joints at the ends of the tie rods can be worn or damaged; You could have a damaged tire - like a broken belt in the tire One or more wheels may not be mounted properly The steering rack ends can be worn; The steering rack can be damaged or not mounted securely You could have one or more loose suspension bolts; You could have one or more broken suspension components You could have a worn or damaged bushing on the control arm, strut mount, or rack mount.

The car should be put on a lift and inspected.

Reply to
Ray O

The car is a 95 Lexus ES300 with 180K miles on it. It car has been driven less than 5K miles since it got new tires, new control arm bushings and passed state inspection.

Thanks, Tripurari

Reply to
ts

The car is a 95 Lexus ES300 with 180K miles on it. It car has been driven less than 5K miles since it got new tires, new control arm bushings and passed state inspection.

Thanks, Tripurari

***** OK, remove control arm bushings from the list I posted above. Everything else is still a possibility. The car should have gotten an alignment when the control arm bushings were installed, so add the possibility that something that was loosened to perform the alignment wasn't tightened properly, or the steering and suspension components were not checked thoroughly.

Check your tire pressure; I recommend 35 or 36 PSI for your car.

Reply to
Ray O