Timing Belt 99' Camry

Hi, I would like to change the timing belt for my 99' Camry at 90K, Professional dealer installation is required or shall i go to any private mechanice to change the timing belt...? appreciate your help Thanks

Reply to
vamsy

Concern yourself with finding a knowledgable and skilled technician. Timing belts are timing belts on most cars, and there is nothing special about doing it on your camry.

Reply to
qslim

most toyota dealers run specials on timing belts for under $200. Check there first since it looks like you have no mechanic.

Reply to
ROBMURR

ROBMURR wrote: : most toyota dealers run specials on timing : belts for under $200. Check there first since it looks like you have no : mechanic.

I was just going to say this. I wish I had gone to my dealer for just this one thing because I learned later it would have been much cheaper. Instead I went to my regular mechanic, who's normally much better than dealers, and paid $450 for my 99 camry.

I wish I had them do the following also:

- change water pump/belt

- replace tensioner bearings

- replace any other bearings/belts that are cheaper to do once they're in there

The good thing about the dealer is that they warrant their work. After I had my timing belt changed, my car was much louder and is showing signs of a bearing about to go, but there's no hope of me ever having the mechanic fix it before it leaves me stranded.

I think the way dealers make money on this deal is they get you in there and then they tell you about the million other things wrong that you need done. If you ignore all of those, the timing belt operation alone should be a good deal.

Good luck.

Holly

Reply to
Holly

I just recently changed my timing belt also at 90,000 miles. In addition to replacing the Water Pump, Tensioner and Idler bearings, and the Alternator and Powersteering Belts, you should think about changing all the front SEALS in the engine. This would be the Camshaft seal, Crankshaft seal, and the Oil Pump pulley seal and "o" ring housing seal. These seals will not make it to the next timing belt change at another

90,000 miles, they will start getting hard and will leak.

Also, regarding about waterpumps - spend the extra money and replace the pump with a genuine Toyota part. The aftermarket pumps are junk and I have found that they do not move the coolant around the engine as well as the OEM parts.

RM

Reply to
hamwitty