Timing Belt - Pick up performance on 1994 Camry LE, 4cyl, 2.2L sedan

Hi,

I have 1994 Camry LE, 4-cyl, 2.2L Sedan.

Just last week, Timing Belt and Water Pump got replaced. Now I am observing, the pick up was not same as previous, at least up to

20mph. Afterwards, pick up is fine..

  1. Is it normal when the new timing belt is replaced ??

  1. Shall I contact the mechanic who replaced Timing Belt to cross check again ??

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

Pick up should be better with a new belt, What happens is old belts stretch and retard timing -reducing power. If it has less power then he screwed your timing. Id be pissed.

Reply to
m Ransley

Belt is off one tooth

Reply to
MDT Tech®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3138.bay.webtv.net, m Ransley being of bellicose mind posted:

IN REAL LIFE.... cam belts stretch only 2-4 degrees. Here's how I've come to the 2-4 degree figure. Car comes in for a cam belt. I've checked the ignition timing on those with a distributor. Replace the belt(s). The ignition timing change with the new belt installed typically changes that little. Compare that to Morse HyVo chains in overhead valve engines which I usually found the change to be about 9 degrees.

More likely his cam belt was installed one tooth off.

Reply to
Philip®

I,ve got an old 87 Camry. It was always a pig on pickup. I accepted it, as everyone said that year was under powered. Years later the belt was replaced...with no difference. Then about 40,000 miles later the belt broke while driving and it needed to be towed to a shop. WOW! When I got the car back it had plenty of power. I couldNt believe it! So, apparently the way the mechanic sets it up makes a difference in power.

Marty

Reply to
Marty009

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com, Marty009 being of bellicose mind posted:

There are several explanations:

1). Your last cam belt was one tooth off. The engine is non interference and will operate with incorrect cam timing.

2). The mechanic may have taken some liberty with the base ignition timing.

3). The mechanic discovered other power robbing conditions or settings.
Reply to
Philip®

Thanks for your great replies..

I reported this problem to Mechanic and mentioned your comments. He looked it again and fixed the problem.

Greatly appreciate your expert comments.

Regards, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

And just what did The Problem turn out to be?

Reply to
Philip®

He adjusted the Timing I guess. He loosened and tightened a bolt near by engine/Carburator..

He hasn't touched anything on the Timing belt, keep focusing Flshing light and keep monitoring it before and after tightening the bolt.

Thanks, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

Why is it that when you set a timing a little less than the manufacturer suggests, the car seems to accelerate easier?

Reply to
Rex

Rex: Whatever you are referring to is... your imagination.

Reply to
Philip®

I said it wrong... if you advance the timing a little, it seems to run better....

Read that

Reply to
Rex

Considering the title of this thread (Timing Belt), and your omission of the word IGNITION ... one would assume you meant CAM timing instead of your real intent ... IGNITION timing. While cam timing will change ignition timing, ignition timing does not change cam timing.

When you have a car with a distributor AND an ECU with a knock sensor, advancing the "base" ignition timing a little will be corrected for when the ECU "hears" engine knocking. So ... what's the point. A few older engines tolerate quite a bit more "base" ignition timing because the OEM spec was chosen for best emissions. Remember, when you increase ignition timing, your NOx emissions climb dramatically.

Reply to
Philip®