Timing belt replacement ..and what else?

It's getting about that time again to re&re the timing belt in our 1995 Camry V6 3.0 litre w/AC.

This will be the third timing belt installed in this car as it now has 187k on the clock. We're going to get the local Toyota dealer to replace it (and other 2 drive belts) - about $525 - for us as it seems such a messy job for me to tackle at this time. I may however, try to pare my costs by replacing the spark plugs myself as they want another $200 for that relatively easy job.

For preventative maintenance and while they have the engine apart is there anything else you can suggest that should be looked at and/or replaced ..pumps, seals, etc... while the engine's front end is apart?

Thanks, Dale

Reply to
Dale

It's commonly commented upon that while the mechanic is into the timing belt area, that the water pump can be replaced with little more expense for labor...even if the water pump seems all right at the moment. Evidently some people have found that after the new timing belt goes in (at $xx labor) the water pump may need replacing (at another $xx labor charge.) As for the $200 to change spark plugs, this sounds a bit ridiculous - since it's a V-6, this comes out to $33 a plug. Plus a few minutes to turn a socket wrench. I've seen a number of local mechanics' shops which will change a timing belt for a whole lot less than $500...and it too is not rocket science.

Reply to
mack

525 for belts, 200 for plugs, Find an honest mechanic and you should get both and a new water pump for 525.
Reply to
ransley

Does anyone know what these abreviations stand for in the Camry series?

-Joe

Reply to
Joe

Points well taken. My guess is that a dealership has a huge overhead compared to a small competitive shop. Stuff like the TB I feel needs a Toyota mechanic as they are the most familiar with these machines and not using my $$ to practice with. Of course that doesn't mean the particular dealer mechanic is mistake-proof. If I can do the more mundane stuff myself then I'm fine with that and it may soften the financial blow as well as keep me more informed about my car. Dale

Reply to
Dale

CE=cheap edition LE luxury edition SE special edition XLE extra luxury edition

Reply to
sharx35

Look very well to the type of spark plugs that are supplied for the low price. Originally my Camry (2.2) had very special (and expensive) spark plugs with a very long lifetime. But the extra money for those plugs is easily earned back because you need less maintenance hours.

Jan

Reply to
jan siepelstad

We're not talking about the inverted franis accelerator of a Maserati here === This is a Toyota, the best selling family sedan in America, and no mechanic is unfamiliar with how to replace a timing belt on one...trust me. In fact if you see a shop in your neighborhood with some Toyotas and Nissans and Hondas in the lot, chances are the mechanic knows as well or better than the Toyota dealer's mechanic, how to change a belt. You can't ever pick and choose a dealer mechanic to do the work, but you'll meet the mechanic at an independent shop. You'll save a bunch of money and by and large you'll get good work done. And it won't be a faceless, nameless person at a dealership shop.

Reply to
mack

Good stuff to chew on, Mack. Hmm.. a neighbour of ours is a journeyman mechanic and he does side work. Other neighbours take their stuff to him. As I've tried to do most of my own work (mostly on a '55 Chev p/up), I haven't had a need for his labour. But in this case it sure would be convenient ..providing it's on a business level - - I'd hate to lose him as a neighbour and 'friend'.

Reply to
Dale

i have 6 cyl 99 camry since new with 170,000 miles with origional timing belt.

cut a 4 nch hole in upper belt cover and have assistant click click click while you watch with flashlight.

Reply to
wp51dos

Is there a danger from leaving the 4 inch hole uncovered, afterwards or does it not matter? What about dust, water, etc getting in there?

Reply to
sharx35

Reply to
LUKE ANDREWS

Reply to
LUKE ANDREWS

i put 12 strips of black electrical tape over the opening

Reply to
wp51dos

LOL! Basically, that's about right!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Seriously, though, what DOES CE stand for?

Reply to
sharx35

Interesting. Maybe duct tape, being much wider, would be easier?

Reply to
sharx35

The following was my old list for the 4cyl, but use the V6 equivalent:

(earlier

prices for 3/5SFE) GATES TCK199 (kit of timing belt with two pulleys and instruction) $84.79 GATES Part # K030295 PS belt $4.32 GATES Part # K050435 Alt/AC $12.12 FEL-PRO TCS45641 Cam seal $4.11 FEL-PRO TCS45920 Crank seal $6.04 your local NAPA store has Airtex water pump FEL-PRO VS50304R valve cover gasket set $13.94

johngdole

Ahhh, found it. My old list on V6 timing parts:

Also time to change plugs, check out the NGK Iridium-IX or Laser Iridium. Good stuff.

I'd replace parts like the following (older prices from

GATES TCK257 timing component kit $89.79 FEL-PRO TCS45890 crank seal $6.27 FEL-PRO TCS45889 cam seal set $8.55 GATES K060410 Alt/AC belt $13.09 GATES K040345 PS belt $8.61 ASCO/AISIN Part # 1610029085 water pump $61.79 (I use Airtex pumps from the local NAPA store) Total ~$188 + shipping

If needed: FEL-PRO VS50471R valve cover set (with spark plug tube seals) $30.79

Reply to
johngdole