Timing chain break?

I think my timing chain has broken...can anyone give an estimate about what a replacement should cost in california? I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer...towed of course...

Reply to
Blah

Year and engine model would help - vast majority of Camry's are belt driven NOT chain. 22RE would be $800-1000! Belt is $199-250.

Reply to
Wolfgang

what is a 22 re

Wolfgang wrote:

Reply to
wp51dos

Engine model code for the 4 cylinder with timing chain used years ago.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Hard to say actually. Head damage is possible and then you're talking at least $1000 dollars. If the chain is merely worn and slipped a tooth, a new one can be threaded in place assuming the sprockets are still in good shape. That process should only take an hour or so.

But what car/engine are you talking about? A Camry new enough to have a timing chain shouldn't be having problems.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

Do you have a Corolla? Most Toyotas use rubber belts and can range from about $150-270 for 4 or 6 cylinders.

Dealers get you in using a coupon and you can't get out usually for less than $1000 after changing the water pump, idler pulleys, oil seals and all belts. So ask for a "package price" before "handing over your wallet."

An sample list of the 3sfe/5sfe timing parts to change:

prices) GATES TCK199 (kit of timing belt with two pulleys and instruction) $84.79 GATES Part # K030295 PS belt $4.32 GATES Part # K050435 Alt/AC $12.12 FEL-PRO TCS45641 Cam seal $4.11 FEL-PRO TCS45920 Crank seal $6.04 BCA Part # 221820 Oil pump seal $2.71 AISIN (Toyota #16110-79185) water pump $58.79

Blah wrote:

Reply to
johngdole