Tire advice: winter or all-season?

Hi,

I have a '02 Camry LE with 56,000 kms. I have the original Michelin tires which now seem a little slippery (always kind of did, actually).

I'm in Ottawa Canada and with winter coming on I'm thinking about getting new tires. I was thinking about snow tires (Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice), but I'd be buying a new set of rims and I'd have to change them back to my current ones in the spring.

I'm almost entirely a city-driver, with some minor highway driving. I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting a new set of quality all-season tires instead?

What all-season tires should I think about getting (I like the quiet ride of the Camry)? Or should I get the winter tires and swap seasonally?

Any advice is *greatly* appreciated!

Jed

Reply to
Jed Bartlett

Since you are asking, you must not have confidence in your winter driving ability. I live in Rochester, MN and I don't know anyone that uses winter tires, but then I have lived in MN for 61 out of my nearly 66 years (four years in military service) so I don't know many newcomers. If you have just moved north or are a new driver, maybe you should try winter tires until you get the hang of it. Start practice as soon as their's winter conditions, increasing speed until control can't be regained. First use vacant parking lots, then go to streets without curbs, finally, the open road without steep ditches. One thing the articles usually don't mention is to keep even power when going into and out of ditches. Just like with motorcycles, avoid immoveable objects. These skills may never be needed, and if they are, the situation seldom requires your best execution, but they will always be with you, winter tires may not be.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I have a 2002 Camry LE V6 with the Energy LX4 tires and they were pretty crappy. I maintain 2 sets of tires:

Nokian Hakka 1's on steel rims (winter) (cost of $750) Michelin Energy MXV4+ on factory Alloys (spring to fall) (cost $750)

If you want a quieter tire, the Michelin Harmonys are excellent as well.

Reply to
Car Guy

Glenn,

Your comments are valid, but fail to take into account the lack of winter driving skills in most people and the use of common sense. Winter tires offer improved grip in snow, ice situations that All Season tires cannot. Here is my experience that paid for the tires:

- snow and ice on the road.. cars driving slow

- I increase my distance from the front car so if I need to stop, I have adequate braking

- moron behind me does not realize the weather conditions and decides to tailgate me.

- another moron driver comes out of a plaza and darts in front of me (in the increased space)

- car in front of him decides to stop to make a left turn

WINTER TIRES AT WORK:

- I make a hard right into the empty lane, and drive away

- guy in front of me plows into the car in front of him (making left turn)

- moron tailgating me, slides into the car in front of him (the guy who cut me off)

I saved my front and rear bumper damage, and increased insurance. Best $750 I ever spent!

Reply to
Car Guy

When I lived in Rochester NY I considered snow tires the only way of not getting stuck. But that was before radial all weather tires and front wheel drive. We had a 2 feet freak snow storm in Raleigh, NC a few years ago and I couldn't believe how well my 94 LHS did in the snow.

Reply to
Art

Harmonys are good but dedicated snows are better. If I had the extra dough I would do it, But it isnt cheap.

Reply to
m Ransley

JP wrote: || Anybody will tell you that winter tires are the way to go, no matter || how good 4-season tires are. 4-seasons are OK in the snow during the || first year but, after wearing that first year, they should be || replaced with winter tires. The grip and the stopping distance || offered by winter tires are much better. || Sure, they are a little bit noiser. So?

If money were no object, I'd install new snow tires every winter. However, even here in Edmonton, I run all season tires and simply adapt my driving habits to road conditions. A LOT cheaper alternative, it is.

|| JP || || Jed Bartlett wrote: ||| Hi, ||| ||| I have a '02 Camry LE with 56,000 kms. I have the original Michelin ||| tires which now seem a little slippery (always kind of did, ||| actually). ||| ||| I'm in Ottawa Canada and with winter coming on I'm thinking about ||| getting new tires. I was thinking about snow tires (Goodyear Ultra ||| Grip Ice), but I'd be buying a new set of rims and I'd have to ||| change them back to my current ones in the spring. ||| ||| I'm almost entirely a city-driver, with some minor highway driving. ||| I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting a new set of quality ||| all-season tires instead? ||| ||| What all-season tires should I think about getting (I like the quiet ||| ride of the Camry)? Or should I get the winter tires and swap ||| seasonally? ||| ||| Any advice is *greatly* appreciated! ||| ||| Jed

Reply to
doorsill

SNIP

Think about your safety and your family's.

JP

Reply to
JP

JP wrote: || SNIP ||| If money were no object, I'd install new snow tires every winter. ||| However, even here in Edmonton, I run all season tires and simply ||| adapt my driving habits to road conditions. A LOT cheaper ||| alternative, it is. || || Think about your safety and your family's. || || JP

IN over 40 years of driving I have never been involved in an accident involving snow or ice.

Reply to
doorsill

SNIP

My Mom often said: "my son, there's always a first time" so, be carefull out there.

JP

Reply to
JP

JP wrote: || SNIP ||| ||| IN over 40 years of driving I have never been involved in an ||| accident involving snow or ice. || || My Mom often said: "my son, there's always a first time" so, be || carefull out there. || || JP

More nervous nelly b.s..

Reply to
doorsill

Obviously, switching to winter tires is best when snowing. These tires are specifically made to grip better in snow than all-season tires. The compound's operating temperature is also lower to match winter needs.

For financial, labor, and space reasons, most people prefer all-season tires. They compromise all aspects of traction (snow, dry, rain, etc) but can at least handle them sufficiently. If you don't have the garage space to hold 4 other wheels and tires, I suggest you check out the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H for your year-round needs. Go to

to read reviews on tires that fit your car.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Locally, and probably nationally, Goodyear is selling assurance comfort tred P205/65 R15 for 80 dollars. After seven percent sales tax, mounting, balancing, checking alignment (59 dollars if needed), and getting a fifty dollar rebate, the cost for four is about 345 with immediate availability. Sam's club was a few pennies higher, special order, and they don't mount the tires. Sears was ridiculous. The tire stores that handle several makes didn't include the assurance model in their goodyear offerings.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

actually).

FYI, I ended up buying the Goodyear Assurance ComfortTread tires. And I just love them!

They are amazing on snow and they are quiet, comfty, and grip the road with nice handling. Worth every penny!

Thanks for the help,

Jed

Reply to
Jed