tire noise

my wife picked up a nail in the sidewall of my '95 camryin late june and ruined the tire. it was due for an inspection at the end of the month so i bought a used tire, and it passed inspection.

after that though, the car made a humming noise in the rear that increased with speed up to a point. the noise occurred whether or not the car was in gear. i have stopped driving it until i can get new tires.

i suspect the used tire, but how could it make such a noise if it was balanced?

thanks.

Reply to
Donald MacQueen

Some tires are just noisy.

Reply to
Hopkins

"" wrote: > my wife picked up a nail in the sidewall of my '95 camryin > late june and > ruined the tire. it was due for an inspection at the end of > the month so i > bought a used tire, and it passed inspection. > > after that though, the car made a humming noise in the rear > that increased > with speed up to a point. the noise occurred whether or not > the car was in > gear. i have stopped driving it until i can get new tires. > > i suspect the used tire, but how could it make such a noise if > it was > balanced? > > thanks.

Wheel balance won?t make a tire noisy. If you rub your hand around the tread of the tire, and feel any bumps around it, especially around the outside edge, then odds are the tire isn?t much good. Sounds like a tire and not a bearing noise if you just replaced that tire.

Reply to
Fourmiler

Like Hopkins says, run your hand around the tire and feel for a lump. If there IS a lump you have a broken bead! THIS CAN CAUSE CATASTROPHIC TIRE FAILURE!!! esp at high speeds. If you HAVE to drive the car, don't use the highway, keep it on roads where the max speed is 45 MPH, and get it to a tire dealer ASAP! Of course, I'm being a little paraniod here, but if that IS what's wrong, you could be in a boatload of trouble. Does the car wobble or shudder, esp at low speeds? If the tire w/ the broken bead is on the front, the steering wheel will propbably oscillate slightly at low speed, if in the rear, it will kind of wiggle a little at low speeds.

The other dangerous thing would be if there is a bubble in a tire, and the bubble in inside where you can't see it. Take a look and see; I once had one about the size of a softball. It will be on the sidewall.

And guess what?! It was on a USED tire that the mounter broke the bead on while mounting it...

Good Luck...

Reply to
hachiroku